• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 lift pump install

bp m1009

hey guys, i discovered the other day that i had some serious leaking coming out of my lift pump, so im gonna have to replace it. i wanted to know if i need to know anything before taking it out and installing a new one. ive done fuel pumps on gas engines. it looks the same as a sbc mechanical pump. am i gonna have to prime the injection pump or anything? i dont know much about the 6.2s fuel system

lavarok

1. Get the pump mounting plate gasket for a SBC chevy. The replacement pump comes with the pump gasket, but you will need to remove the mounting plate to get the push rod in place.

2. 1/4 ratchet set with a swivel

3. Bleed the system the same as if you changed the fuel filter.

TyJustice

There will be no need to prime the system when you install the new the new lift pump. It is much like the pumps that were used on the V8 gas engines during those years of production.

As you remove the old pump try to keep the rod from coming out of the block. If it does just add a little grease to the end and sides and that will hold it in place when you install the new pump.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be prepaired to say a few curse words......It is a requirement. :-D

Section 3-10 of the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual covers the replacement.

Biggest thing to watch out for is the pushrod. Go ahead and remove the mounting plate and use some grease to hold the pushrod in place.

The pump replacement is very simular to a SBC.

Once replaced, open the bleeder valve on top of the fuel filter and crank the engine. There has been some great post on using a clear line and water bottle to be able to bleed the system with only "Soldier A".