• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 locked up

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just keep in mind that you are putting a turbo from an engine with 18:1 compression onto an engine with 23:1 compression. Just saying. There is a reason they lowered the compression for the turbo engines.

Rick

berniea

hay guys one quick question. i put 6.5 injectors and the lines on but some of them are not perfectly straight on the injectors does the cone on the line make up for that? the nuts thread on just fine. i have not tried to start it yet because of this. don"t want a leek and want to fix it first if i need to. thanks in advance

chevyCUCV

Just keep in mind that you are putting a turbo from an engine with 18:1 compression onto an engine with 23:1 compression. Just saying. There is a reason they lowered the compression for the turbo engines.

Rick
This statement is so wrong:deadhorse:

The most the compression changed on the 6.5's was down to 21:1 (on late 90's models only )and 6.2's are 22:1

Plenty of people run turbocharged 6.2 diesels

wayne pick

use the 6.5 injector lines, the bends are slightly different and are matched to the alignment of the 6.5 injectors. If you used 6.5 turbo injectors, you may want to advance the IP timing. WARNING- This should be left to a professonal, you could easilly burn up the engine if this is done wrong. The 6.5 injectors have a far higher pop pressure than the 6.2 NA injectors. It takes longer for the pump to build pressure to open or "pop" the injector. This will retard the timing enough to cause cold start problems. It will also effect performance which is the whole idea behind the turbo swap to begin with. I would see how it runs first and go from there. Also, using 6.5 turbo parts on a 6.2 is not as bolt on as many will lead you to believe. Recerch this mod here and at the sites mentioned above by Warthog. Keith j also offers good advice in using head studs. Head bolts stretch and should not be used again. Good luck and be careful. Ask questions if your not sure about something.

berniea

the engine is already put together except for the intake my question is about the injector lines.it blew a head gasket so i had the heads gone through stud kit new gaskets ect.

wayne pick

Read the first paragraph in my reply. As far as the lines leaking, yes they may leak as they are not lined up properly to the injector, they may not leak at first, but may leak down the road due to vibration.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5 lines are made for the 6.5 heads and they are a different injector angle. If you have the 6.2 heads on there then you will have to use the 6.2 lines so they line up. Do NOT bend any of the lines! You will get a knock that you would swear is a rod knock. It changes the timing on that injector.

wayne pick

Thanks Rick, I had assumed the 6.5 heads were being used seeing as there is a head gasket job involved with the swap and using the 6.5s is really the right way to do it.:)

dstang97

I'm running 6.5 injectors with 6.2 injector lines. Maxed put pump, and full banks kit. My truck runs great. So you can mix and match a lot of parts.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, A lot of the parts are the same but the lines have to stay with the heads. 6.2 heads have to use 6.2 lines.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know when I put the new 6.5 long block in mine the injectors were at a different angle and I had to order the lines for a stock mid 90's 6.5 truck. They fit right on. Are you saying there are different 6.5 heads?

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see pictures but what am I looking at? I stopped visiting that site when they went to being a pay site.

dstang97

I see pictures but what am I looking at? I stopped visiting that site when they went to being a pay site.
The injectors are on the top not the side. That is a f- code 6.5. Don't forget the 6.5 came with 3 types of injector lines long, short, and f code.

And btw don't quote me on any of my babble. It has been years since I learned all this stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks