• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 no start

chevypower

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2ONpYWITE[/media] is a link of it on youtube trying to start it it doesn't smoke out exhaust i changed fuel filter, fuel, and glow plugs has been sitting for a year started monthly until batteries died then sat for few months then wouldn't start was thinking it was fuel related

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bleed the fuel filter base, test voltage on bottom of GP relay(key on), Check IP for power and clicking(key on)?

DokWatson

If it started good before its probably just air trapped in the system. If its sat for awhile you might have to crack injector lines one at a time while someone cranks it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, sounds like a fuel issue to me. Start from the tank and head forwards when troubleshooting problems. You might have air leaks in the lines or a dead fuel pump. Diesels are very sensitive to air in the fuel. Like others have mentioned, prime the filter first to ensure you've got fuel to that point. Then crack the injector lines to make sure you've got fuel flowing to them. Do NOT have someone crank while you've got those lines loose and your hands around them.

mistaken1

getting -13 v at ip what does it mean?
It means your meter leads are reversed (electrician humor).

As doghead mentioned with the key on remove and replace the terminal with the pink wire that connects to the IP. Do you hear the fuel cut-off solenoid operate as you remove and connect power to the IP? If not the truck will never start.

Barrman

You have verified voltage at the pink wire on top of the IP. With the key on, plug and un plug the pink wire. You should hear/feel a thunk/click. That is what turns the fuel in the IP on/off. Fuel to the IP but not the lines pretty much means the solenoid is not functioning or the pump is bad itself.

chevypower

i did that and replaced the top half of the ip and it seemed to have a stronger click after that, but still no fuel. could the pump go bad from just sitting a little while or is there something i should try cleaning?

kipman

I would add very low air pressure to the tank, be very careful, it is hard to do but can be done with a rag to hold the air in.

M1008driver

Jiggle the green wire on the IP just in case of a bad connection. Mine did that once and that is all it was. It happened after I took the breather off. I hope it is that simple.

CROM

I just had this same problem. It turned out to be an airlocked system. If you have a hand vacuum pump ($25 at harbor freight if you don't) remove the outlet hose from your filter housing (the lower hose on the right side). Attach the hand pumb to the filter housing (the right angle port) and pump until you get clean fuel or hardly any bubbles (you'll need a clear portion of hose on the hand pump to see the fuel/bubbles). After you get fuel comming out of the filter housing, pop the hose back onto the port and do the standard bleed in the tech manual (gas cap open, vent on top of filter housing open, injector pump wire (pinky) disconnected). After I did this, it took about 15 seconds of cranking to get diesel to flow out of the side port (again, just like in the tech manual). After that, I had to pump the gas peddle a bit, but she fired right up!

If you end up needing to prime the system every time it sits, your fuel pump is probably bad. I pulled mine to check it...much easier to get at if you remove the passenger side alternator. If you pull it off, plug the inlet with your thumb and suck on the outlet. Cover the outlet with your tounge and see if it holds a vacuum. If not, bad fuel pump. $40-50 at any auto parts store, but CHECK IT IN THE STORE TO SEE IF IT HOLDS A VACUUM! If you find it's bad, you may want to hit a Chevy dealer and order one. It'll cost twice as much, it will work!

Like I said, I just got done fighting a similar problem. I ended up wearing out my starter gear trying to prime and had to rebuild it. Just pump fuel through the filter and bleed like normal.

Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks