• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 or 6.5 Long Block

Chief_919

Depends- is the long block a GM block, of an AM General block?

If you can get an AMG made 6.5, jump on it. Best of all blocks in the series. They are easy to spot because in the valley bewteen the heads there is a large IH diamond logo cast into the block.

diesel583

The 1031 only gets 10 mpg with all the junk I got on it, weighs about 9K. Same price , so that is not a factor, am leaning toward the 6.2

Chief_919

Why is the 6.5 AMG block better?
As soon as AM General got the rights to the engine they worked with Navistar to redisgn the block and heads to eliminate many of the weak spots, and changed the metal composition to a stronger alloy.

Among other things, the block fire deck is thicker and the main bearing webs are stronger.

Stonepicker1

As soon as AM General got the rights to the engine they worked with Navistar to redisgn the block and heads to eliminate many of the weak spots, and changed the metal composition to a stronger alloy.

Among other things, the block fire deck is thicker and the main bearing webs are stronger.
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

Go with the GEP 6.5 if you can.

I have one, long block being shipped new from the factory for $5,800.00 that will be going into my CUCV-II and another one I got from GL that I'll pickup Monday.

WARWAG

Thank you Chief. This will be the engine I will be looking for. Thanks again.

Preacherboy

I am also pondering the same question, 6.2 or 6.5. I currently have a 98 Suburban with all the bells and whistles that I just purchased and it at least has a head gasket or worse...(using coolant and oil, sticky, milkly nastiness when I pull out the dipstick); but yet it runs perfect! Unless I forget to constantly add oil or coolant.

I can get either 6.2 or 6.5 take-outs that have a warranty, which will be easier to get into my truck? Will my oil pan from my current 6.5 go right one to a hmmvw 6.5 long block? Which will get me another 200,000 miles with the best fuel milage? I will not be normally towing anything ever, but I would still like to go 70 on the highway...I have 4.10 gears, but would like to at least get them to 3.42 or maybe a 3.07 to get the best milage.

Any help would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks