• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 performance idea

snipershot

Ok so I've been reading the 6.2s engine issues when it comes to performane so I was thinking what if I bought a banks sidewinderkit with a straight pipe exhaust, put in a intercooler, water meth injection on a rebuilt 6.2 rebuilt to low compression. Is this a good idea?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to 18-1 pistons will help your cause greatly but it's not going to be cheap

91W350

RPM was their main enemy, they had marginal block strength. They are really bad about cracking through the main bearing webbing, then you cannot keep bearings in them. For the money you are looking at spending, find a 4bt. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would agree with 91W350. For all the money you were ready to toss into a 6.2, just buy a 4BT or 6BT. You'll get a better foundation and more power for the same or less money. You can easily net 300hp out of a 6BT p-pumped engine just tweaking the fuel pump and upgrading injectors. And the cummins line has no problem running at 300 to 400hp all day long.

67_C-30

To answer the OP's question - Yes it would. Lowering the compression helps with the cracking issues because it reduces the amount of cylinder pressure and stress on the block - even if is making more HP. Everybody gets hung up on the fact that making more power = more stress, but that's not true when you are decreasing CR that much. You can change the pistons, but the easiest and cheaper way of doing it going with Cometic stainless steel head gaskets. You can go with .065" thick gaskets and you can achieve 18 : 1 on a 6.2L. They are not cheap, (about $400), but its cheaper than building the whole engine and buying pistons. You do need to run head studs with them, but head studs are good mod for these engines anyway. When I built my low compression 6.2 I went with pistons, but I would go with the Cometic gaskets without worrying about them based on other people's experience with them. The engine in video below is running the Cometic gaskets, the guys trhat built have ran them in other 6.2/6.5's before with great success. They are running that engine in a big 2 1/2 truck pulling over 15,000# loads and it has plenty of power and stays cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lgyn1jBrhE&feature=related

OL AG '89

take the bottom end out put a girdle in it and go to town..... Buy 2 or 3 more for cheap and just get real GOOD at engine swaps, maybe do quick disconnects so its easy and quick....
o.k. seriously, I don't enough about the 6.2 other than what I've read on the site, but they WEREN't designed to be SUPER powerful. They were designed to be RELIABLE for the military. Drivers had to maintain them or WALK.....
I spent 21 years in and NEVER heard of a CUCV blowing a motor......
Started as a light track and wheeled vehicle mechanic..... had some experience with maintaining the 4 cylinder gen motors up to the M60A1 -2 12 cylinder engines....
If you kept them well OILED they would last forever...... Why do think we can buy all these 25 year old vehicle that still RUN!!!!

nattieleather

I think a lot of people get performance and upgrade intermixed. In my mind performance means more HP and more speed. Where as Upgrade means design better which will give you an overall better performance of the engine. It has been proven that the 6.2 with a turbo will run just fine...the turbo providing better breathing of the motor. Adding a girdle on the bottom end to stiffen the block helps it run better. Lowering the compression ration slightly will keep temps down thus making the engine last longer and so on. I think a good upgrade for better life and performance would be to change the transmission to a 4 speed like a 4L80 thus lowering the RPMs at higher speeds. All good upgrade modification for the motor to make it better.

Now if the OP had said he was going to put on headers and twin turbos, dual IPs, stroker crank, lighten flywheel, aluminum heads and a 5" exhust then I'd be one to say hey your trying to gold plate a turd.... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks