• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Pulse timing?

welpro222

Using a Blue Point Pulse Adapter and a Innova Digital timing light, what should it be reading a idle and at 1400 rpms?

At the moment, the IP is set at 1/16th to the drivers side advanced and the timing light shows about 9 to 9.5 BTDC and about 8 BTDC at 1400 rpms. The truck runs good but has rough idle and a vibration at idle that can be anoyying inside the cab.

welpro222

Ive done alot of research online, but no straight answer. I've heard 2* BTDC, 8* BTDC, 10*ATDC, and as high as 15* BTDC. But they never say at what rpm or at idle?

I've read that 2* BTDC with a probe is best, but what is the * setting for the pulse adapter?

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

The spec in the 6.2 engine manual is 0* but that is for a new engine and I have seen 10* in either direction depending on the purpose it is use for.

Barrman

Mine shakes pretty bad in the 600's as well. Take it up to 725-750. Made mine smoother. Of course, a new IP will make it really smooth. Keep that in the back of your head.

welpro222

I'll give that a try and see.

Well heres whats done so far:
New Main Filter 10 micron
New Lift Pump
New Secondary Filter WIX Brand
Rebuild DB2 4544 HD Pump, after installing this it gave me litte rougher idle
Tried 2x sets of injectors no change.

I set my timing with the pulse adapter at 10 BTDC at 1400 rpm, which I'm hoping that put me at 0 TDC ingntion at 1400 (GM SPECS)

This puts my IP at about 1/8 to 3/16 inch advance past the line to the drivers side.

Also Engine specs:
New timing chain was installed.
Used engine (compression checked at 375 to 425 all cyl)
Very little blowby gases through oil filler tube (little when cold almost none when hot)
New main and rod bearings
oil pump, cleaned and checked heads (not surfaced)
ARP Head studs with Fel-Pro 6.5 Gaskets
New Balancer
AC 60g plugs

Starts fine hot, little tough when cooled, it will blow some gray/wht smoke then clear up.

I'd expect during the summer 65 to 75 degrees F it should start up quick after 10 sec glow time with no smoke.

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

The line on the timing cover and IP are only for reference for the factory installed IP on that engine. It will not match if a different pump is installed. Also from my vast info gathering to get more power out of the 6.2 engine, the IP and Injectors must match so if you upgrade the pump you must get the injectors to go with it and vise versa.

I'll give that a try and see.

Well heres whats done so far:
New Main Filter 10 micron
New Lift Pump
New Secondary Filter WIX Brand
Rebuild DB2 4544 HD Pump, after installing this it gave me litte rougher idle
Tried 2x sets of injectors no change.

I set my timing with the pulse adapter at 10 BTDC at 1400 rpm, which I'm hoping that put me at 0 TDC ingntion at 1400 (GM SPECS)

This puts my IP at about 1/8 to 3/16 inch advance past the line to the drivers side.

Also Engine specs:
New timing chain was installed.
Used engine (compression checked at 375 to 425 all cyl)
Very little blowby gases through oil filler tube (little when cold almost none when hot)
New main and rod bearings
oil pump, cleaned and checked heads (not surfaced)
ARP Head studs with Fel-Pro 6.5 Gaskets
New Balancer
AC 60g plugs

Starts fine hot, little tough when cooled, it will blow some gray/wht smoke then clear up.

I'd expect during the summer 65 to 75 degrees F it should start up quick after 10 sec glow time with no smoke.

welpro222

The Glow Plug and Balancer Sensors I believe are the same reading, but the Pulse Sensor reads injection timing that takes place before Ignition timing. GM calls for 0 TDC when the ignition happens but when taking into account that the Pulse Adapter is going to be reading before that. I'm trying to figure out how many degrees before? Right now I'm use 10 degrees BTDC. There is no official pulse timing from GM, because they use a different timing system. One person said my timing should read from 13 to 15 BTDC with a Pulse adapter and timing light, but he did not say at what RPMS and do I have to advance the timing light?

The way I did it so far is set the timing light to 10 degrees advanced and set the timing to 0 TDC at 1400 RMP (giving me 10 BTDC at 1400), but it seems to not changes my results. I must be off a tooth on my IP gear or something? I might try advaning to 15 BTDC and see if that changes anything, but it make me nervous.

I guess my question should be whats the degrees delay between the pulse adapter and the ignition of the cylinder (what the probe picks up). 5, 10, or 15 Degrees. If I have to move the IP anymore I may have to advance the gear itself.

The injectors had new nozzles and were tested at a Diesel Service Shop. I tried those and also a set of used ones I had with no change.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an Kent-Moore tach and time. It has information in the lid. Unfortunately, I loaned it out so I can't post the info. I'll ask the person who has it, to look at this thread.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this online...

Engine Timing & Tune Up Application: Universal

The J33300-A Tach-N-Time is a microprocessor based service tool designed for fast and accurate dynamic timing of diesel engines. Using the start of the injection/combustion signal and the crankshaft location signal, a microprocessor gives a digital display of exact engine RPM and injection pump timing in degrees.

The time of injection/combustion is picked up by either of two methods:
  1. A transducer clamped on the fuel injection line senses the fuel surge in the line, or
  2. A luminosity probe installed in place of the glow plug of #1 cylinder.
Crankshaft location is picked up with a magnetic probe. The probe offset is automatically computed by the Tach-N-Time and is adjustable from 0ø to 200ø. On engines with no crankshaft probe receptacle, an inductive timing light can be attached to the J33300-A to visually read crankshaft location. An adjustable pulse delay allows a direct readout of the timing angle.

Features:
  • Magnetic probe adapts to engines with magnetic probe socket, and tester has variable offset to locate TDC.
  • Power cables conveniently attach to 12 volt power (+8 to 26 VDC rnage) source - no internal batteries to run down.
  • LED injection sensor light shows clearly if test signal is being received by Tach-N-Time.
  • Microprocessor solid state electronics; no field calibration required.
Specifications:
  • Timing range 0ø to 51ø with strobe light, 220ø with magnetic probe.
  • RPM range 360 to 6,000.
  • Accuracy ñ .2ø timing, ñ 1 RPM.
  • Operating temperature -20øF to 130øF.
  • Input battery voltage 8 to 26V D.C. Power draw 5 amp.
  • Carrying case with accessory storage.
  • Rocker switches.
OTC Kent-Moore J33300-A Tach-N-Timer Diesel Timing Meter

acesneights1

The line on the timing cover and IP are only for reference for the factory installed IP on that engine. It will not match if a different pump is installed. Also from my vast info gathering to get more power out of the 6.2 engine, the IP and Injectors must match so if you upgrade the pump you must get the injectors to go with it and vise versa.
These engines are IDI and do not have injectors although everyone calls them that. They have nozzles. Injection event happens at the pump and the nozzles"pops" at a preset pressure(usually 1800-2200). It does not matter which nozzles you use as long as they match each other. Many people change over to the short style . Usually to clear a turbo. You do not need to match nozzles to the pump. Optimal is to set all the pop pressures as close as possible which will give a smoother running engine.

Jake59

Hi Jersey,

You wrote: " The line on the timing cover and IP are only for reference for the factory installed IP on that engine. It will not match if a different pump is installed."

Does this statement still stand? Confirmed?
Anyone who can clarify on this please?

Judging by my IP Model Stanadyne DB2 829-4879, my engine must have received a replacement IP, since my M1009 is from 04-1985.

Thank you for any experiene sharing and advice,

Jake

Jake59

The Glow Plug and Balancer Sensors I believe are the same reading, but the Pulse Sensor reads injection timing that takes place before Ignition timing. GM calls for 0 TDC when the ignition happens but when taking into account that the Pulse Adapter is going to be reading before that. I'm trying to figure out how many degrees before? Right now I'm use 10 degrees BTDC. There is no official pulse timing from GM, because they use a different timing system. One person said my timing should read from 13 to 15 BTDC with a Pulse adapter and timing light, but he did not say at what RPMS and do I have to advance the timing light?

The way I did it so far is set the timing light to 10 degrees advanced and set the timing to 0 TDC at 1400 RMP (giving me 10 BTDC at 1400), but it seems to not changes my results. I must be off a tooth on my IP gear or something? I might try advaning to 15 BTDC and see if that changes anything, but it make me nervous.

I guess my question should be whats the degrees delay between the pulse adapter and the ignition of the cylinder (what the probe picks up). 5, 10, or 15 Degrees. If I have to move the IP anymore I may have to advance the gear itself.

The injectors had new nozzles and were tested at a Diesel Service Shop. I tried those and also a set of used ones I had with no change.

Hi Welpro,

Sorry for the "late reply", but from the figures I see on the little check card that comes with the Tach N Time, it appears that the transducer (pulse sensor) gets the injection signal about 8 degrees before the luminosity probe "sees" the ignition in the combustion chamber.

Given the information on the timing specifications check card, the timing ight should indicate about +4 degrees BTDC at idle. About 3 degrees more so +7 BTDC at 1400 RPM I think, but not sure...

Cheers,
Jake

Jake59

Found this online...

Engine Timing & Tune Up Application: Universal

The J33300-A Tach-N-Time is a microprocessor based service tool designed for fast and accurate dynamic timing of diesel engines. Using the start of the injection/combustion signal and the crankshaft location signal, a microprocessor gives a digital display of exact engine RPM and injection pump timing in degrees.

The time of injection/combustion is picked up by either of two methods:
  1. A transducer clamped on the fuel injection line senses the fuel surge in the line, or
  2. A luminosity probe installed in place of the glow plug of #1 cylinder.
Crankshaft location is picked up with a magnetic probe. The probe offset is automatically computed by the Tach-N-Time and is adjustable from 0ø to 200ø. On engines with no crankshaft probe receptacle, an inductive timing light can be attached to the J33300-A to visually read crankshaft location. An adjustable pulse delay allows a direct readout of the timing angle.

Features:
  • Magnetic probe adapts to engines with magnetic probe socket, and tester has variable offset to locate TDC.
  • Power cables conveniently attach to 12 volt power (+8 to 26 VDC rnage) source - no internal batteries to run down.
  • LED injection sensor light shows clearly if test signal is being received by Tach-N-Time.
  • Microprocessor solid state electronics; no field calibration required.
Specifications:
  • Timing range 0ø to 51ø with strobe light, 220ø with magnetic probe.
  • RPM range 360 to 6,000.
  • Accuracy ñ .2ø timing, ñ 1 RPM.
  • Operating temperature -20øF to 130øF.
  • Input battery voltage 8 to 26V D.C. Power draw 5 amp.
  • Carrying case with accessory storage.
  • Rocker switches.
OTC Kent-Moore J33300-A Tach-N-Timer Diesel Timing Meter

Hi Doghead,

I realize this posting is old, but I have a question about the Kent-Moore Tach N Time J 33300 A.

I am not sure if my Magnetic Probe works properly, as the values really move all over the place... anywhere from 2.3 degrees to 48 degrees...
Fluctuation is hefty...
Should the Magnetic Probe be positioned very close to the harmonic balancer or perhaps 1/8" away?
Or would it improve to get a clear signal on the Magnetic Probe if I stick a magnetic strip in the Harmonic Balancer TDC grove ?

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, so any advice welcome.

Also, just so I can check my Magnetic Probe, can you measure the resistance of the probe between the plug contacts, so I have a reference please? Mine reads about 50 Ohm and no idea if this is good or bad...

Thank you,
Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks