• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 runs away on warm ups using high idle...

brazengoat06

1985 M1010 after cold starts when using high idle at times will randomly rev itself up to an estimated 2600 rpm and hold there until high idle solenoid turns off. The other part of the time the high idle solenoid intermittently functions which I believe it just needs a new solenoid. My question is why is it running away and revving up as such? Thanks

cucvrus

Spray some lube on it and adjust the fast idle so it don't rev the engine up so high. Did you change the injection pump? Sometimes that lever is pitched different on the injection pump. An adjust and lube job is in order. Careful don't break the shaft on the fast idle solenoid.

m1garand_man

My original solenoid was frozen and never worked. When I swapped my engine the replacement had a working one on it. I think it needs to be adjusted. The current one wont turn when I put a screwdriver to it and I wasn't wanting to force anything. Am I correct in assuming that it screws in and out?

jpg

My original solenoid was frozen and never worked. When I swapped my engine the replacement had a working one on it. I think it needs to be adjusted. The current one wont turn when I put a screwdriver to it and I wasn't wanting to force anything. Am I correct in assuming that it screws in and out?
Look in the TM 9-2320-289-20, section 3-25, ENGINE IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT.

5. Use an insulated jumper wire from
front battery positive (+) terminal to
adenoid terminal (3) to energize fast
idle solenoid (4).

7. Adjust extended fast idle solenoid
plunger (2) by turning hex head of
fast idle solenoid plunger to an to an enginefast idle speed of 800 rpm.

The TMs are your friend. If the screw won't turn, PB Blaster or similar products can help free it. Give it time to soak in, and repeated treatments over a period of days may be necessary.

m1garand_man

Thanks!

TM's are our friend, but personal experience of others is my best friend :)
Just note that TM's like Chiltons only tell you what to do and rarely give suggestions on how to do it when things aren't going right. For example when it came to bleeding my fuel injection pump the only warning was to not run the starter more than 10 seconds at a time. What it didn't tell me was that it may take more than a few cycles of priming using the starter to get a recently rebuilt pump to fully bleed. The first time I ever bled one I spend hours fretting over breaking something. Now I know better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks