• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 valve cover issues

jimm1009

Has anyone found a good quality RUBBER valve cover gasket for the 6.2 engines that holds up well?

I know that the engine when new did not have gaskets and that Felpro offers a cork gasket but those only last a year or two and then break down and leak.

I have used the cork by itself and with aviation grade sealants as a su-plement and the best I can get is about a year and a half before they start seeping.
Have also switched valve covers and heads but still only last about 1.5 years.
I've had many years to practice due to having my M1009 as my daily driver since 1995 and putting over 200,000 miles on it. Evidently I have not learned much so I am appealing to the masses.

aua

Thanks,
jimm1009

blitzengine

When it comes to valve covers don't use gaskets, instead use a good quality RTV and they will never leak again. I do this to every valve covers I come across and never have to worry about them leaking ever.

:beer:

Westech

CPL
I never use rubber on the 6.2 valve covers.. I use cork and RTV copper. Works great only ting is you have to re tighten them after a couple miles, but after that your good to roll forever.

JAsher45

there are a few high quality rubber gaskets out there but.. they still leak.... it is in the design of the valve cover!!!.. i will take some pics and show how to seal a valve cover that will never leak... and it takes good sealent to make it a good job.

vrietscha

Valve cover gasket.

I would agree with everyone else. Clean off all of the oil on the sealing surfaces and either put the cork gasket on or rtv silicone the valve cover on. Either way makes a good seal. Silicone actually makes a better seal in my opinion though because it actually knits itself to both surfaces. Actually, when you HAVE to take the cover off, you will have to pry the cover off if you rtv it. That's how good the stuff works. Right stuff is another form of RTV Sealant that is better than the plain silicone and the Right Stuff is the specified repair procedure for some oem's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks