• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L civi vs Military Exhaust manifold

stevee

Hey all, over the summer I bought a beaut of a CUCV and recently the crank failed, and upon inspecition found a crack in the block. I've got a civi 6.2L from a 1983 van that I'm swapping in. I've seen alot of informative posts in this site regarding the differences in the engines and they've answered alot of questions that I would have had, but one remains unanswered. On the drivers side exhaust mani on the civi engine there is what appears to be an exhaust brake. 1/2 the vac lines have been cut, and the electrical connector (2-pin weatherpack) is gone. Is there an easy way to hook this up? Should I swap exhaust mani's and call it a day? Any help and experience is greately appreciated. Thanks much guys.

67_C-30

Hey all, over the summer I bought a beaut of a CUCV and recently the crank failed, and upon inspecition found a crack in the block. I've got a civi 6.2L from a 1983 van that I'm swapping in. I've seen alot of informative posts in this site regarding the differences in the engines and they've answered alot of questions that I would have had, but one remains unanswered. On the drivers side exhaust mani on the civi engine there is what appears to be an exhaust brake. 1/2 the vac lines have been cut, and the electrical connector (2-pin weatherpack) is gone. Is there an easy way to hook this up? Should I swap exhaust mani's and call it a day? Any help and experience is greately appreciated. Thanks much guys.
I would stick with you manifolds. If not, you risk having problems connecting to your existing exhaust after its in the truck

Welcome to the site!

67_C-30

BTW, that is the EPR (Exhaust Pressure Regulator) and it controls a valve in the manifold. It restricts the exhaust on that side to divert it up to the EGR in the intake. This only came on C code engines. Make sure you put your non EGR J code intake off the military engine as well.

stevee

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the help as well!

We're in the process of swapping all the senders now and noticed the EGR valve on the intake after we took the filter off. We decided to swap that as well... then noticed that the civi engine seems to use a form of TPS on the injection pump as opposed to the vac operated solenoid for the trans. So it looks like we'll be swapping the injection pump too. As well as all the glow plugs, sensors, brackets etc etc which is pretty strait forward.

Thanks again for the help, anything else you can think of that might through us for a loop?

sandpirates

you might want to look for some M998 exhaust manifolds they flow better. at least that is the info my shop chief tells me. if any one has better info let me know.

67_C-30

you might want to look for some M998 exhaust manifolds they flow better. at least that is the info my shop chief tells me. if any one has better info let me know.
The H1 headers do flow a little better, but they require the exhaust being altered to fit. Some people have mentioned they don't work well on the trucks because of clearance on one of the outlets, but I've personally never tried them. I usually turbocharge my engines, so I have no need for them.

67_C-30

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the help as well!

We're in the process of swapping all the senders now and noticed the EGR valve on the intake after we took the filter off. We decided to swap that as well... then noticed that the civi engine seems to use a form of TPS on the injection pump as opposed to the vac operated solenoid for the trans. So it looks like we'll be swapping the injection pump too. As well as all the glow plugs, sensors, brackets etc etc which is pretty strait forward.

Thanks again for the help, anything else you can think of that might through us for a loop?
No, that's pretty much it. The civi engines and CUCV longblocks are interchangeable once everything is stripped off them. Good luck with the project and give us a yell if you run into a snag.

Tanner

And some folks will say 'use an exhaust manifold gasket between head and header', while others will say 'leave them off' -

'Tanner'