• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L detroit into...

AgeOfDarkness94

Okay guys, a bit of an oddball question here. wasn't exactly sure where/if to post this here so please bear with me.

Alright, to the point then. I have a 1985 m1009 and love her to death. However, at times where I want to goo wheeling with my buddies, I have much difficulty getting a lifted chevy blazer into places meant for atvs and sand rails. my question to you guys is: has anyone had any success or experience with putting the venerable 6.2 into a smaller chassis? I was contemplating a Geo tracker or a suzuki samurai possibly even a jeep wrangler. more than likely will be going the route of the geo in favor of price and simplicity, and would be getting the 4wd 5 speed manual trans. before you flame me about posting this on the SS forums, it DOES involve a CUCV engine so I believe it falls under the right category.

thanks in advance for any advice your willing to offer.

-Tyler

PS- I'm at least going to be painting it OD green /w tigerstripes and a USA flag lol

jimmy-90

Im guessing here but since the 6.2 diesel weighs a bit more than a small block gas motor It will likely bottom out your front springs just sitting still. Also I don't know alot about those things but for some reason I always thought they were uni-bodies and didn't have solid axles either. Of course I could be wrong about all of that though. Anyhow How would you adapt that trans to the 6.2 diesel?

67_C-30

Here's a few in smaller vehicles. I would think the Scout would be the easier because those IH engines were already big and heavy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3olWxhjBXo8&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAntcuQJ-jM[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDTnZaB9GkU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm8O7KO0ZsU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP80AsJXaHc[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMKV9AE1dc[/media]

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should just buy my samurai. 1.6 VW turbo diesel, twin t-cases, onboard welder/gen, and a slew of parts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly, more than what you probably want to give for it. It was more of a joke really.

AgeOfDarkness94

WOW thanks for all the input everyone! as for the question of suspension, it is going to to be getting some new axles for sure. more than likely ford nines or a custom length dana 60 set up front and back. I need something with a REALLY short wheel base (ideally less than 90 inches and be relatively narrow. as for the question of power, the 6,2 detroit v8 puts out a realistic 120 hp and has mush more torque than the puny 1.6 liter straight 4 on the tracker. I have absolutely no clue as to how the standard geo 5 speed can handle the power or if it can indeed bolt to the 6.2 at all...
in any case, if the 6.2 will not bolt to the transmission, I could always get a junked dodge or chevy 700 r4 or 4L60e from a U-pull-it yard.

Personally, I do not like the idea of purchasing a vehicle for the sole purpose of offroading because I don't go that often, and need a daily driver that can handle adverse weather in FL and NC climates. I for one am partial to the geo tracker because it is small and lightweight. No they are not unibody and the frame is indeed removable. still dont know what to do lol but you guys are always welcomed to give me input. thanks again for the info!

-Tyler

kevin-m1008

You may want to do some measuring on how long a transfer case, OD automatic tranny and engine is, to see how it will fit into a wheelbase of less then 90" I'm betting that the rear driveline will be rather short. very doable but you may not like the tradeoff's

For 4wheeling I'm thinking even if you could get the stock 5speed to adapt to the 6.2 the torque will split it in half fairly quickly. there is a reason that GM put a turbo 400 behind the 6.2 for the military.
Yes I know you can build anything to make it stronger but if your thinking of narrowed axles most likely you will be putting in lockers and the stress that comes with it loves to find the weak link.

Sounds like a fun project if you do it.

Kevin

jimmy-90

Didn't notice you were from Florida where tractor tired mega trucks are king. Anyhow if you use a 700r4 or some other full sized truck trans along with that motor your driveshafts will be like 10" or 12" long at best with horrible angles. But since you are thinking about having custom axles made just have your front axle built with the diff in the center and and a NP205 Tcase clocked straight up and down. That will at least will give you good driveshaft angles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
...the 6,2 detroit v8 puts out a realistic 120 hp and has mush more torque than the puny 1.6 liter straight 4 on the tracker. I have absolutely no clue as to how the standard geo 5 speed can handle the power or if it can indeed bolt to the 6.2 at all...
in any case, if the 6.2 will not bolt to the transmission, I could always get a junked dodge or chevy 700 r4 or 4L60e from a U-pull-it yard.

The transmission won't stand up to it at all. You'd spit it out in a hurry. Plus I don't know of anyone making an adapter plate for it to a Chevy bolt pattern.

A 700-R4 or a 4L6E (basically the same transmission, the 4L relies on more electronic controls. Both will need upgrades to hold up to the torque over the long haul.

To fit an auto, you're going to need a body lift and/or major floorpan trimming.

Wheelbase will become your enemy with a full-sized powertrain. Or at least the rear driveshaft. A divorced samurai t-case won't handle the power for long either.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
once you add the 6.2 and transmission ,axels , it will no longer be a "light" vehicel
So true....

My 1.6 VW turbo diesel is a slouch. Top speed is maybe 70mph or so. (Probably could go faster, but I'm not about to!) But it's light and floats on top of mud. I know, I've done it. It has enough torque to not get bogged down as well.

Josh

Putting dual tcase in a samuri will provide more then enough reduction for that wimpy 1.3l to run 35in tires. Have owned a few samurai over the last few years, as have my cousins. Stock axles, dual tcase and 39.5in superswampers. Thing did great. Cept it had a mini spool in the rearend so it chewed up the tires in a few k miles.

gunner01

ok lets try to bring some facts to light on this dream machine.... first it wont be light anymore as stated earlier. second driveline length will be very short as stated earlier. so to properly build this vehiclelets go this route. First cut and section in 12-16 inches to the frame this will lenghten the drive lines. Second cut and roll your axles to allow proper angle.Third lower trans and t-case cross member 1 1/2 inches. Fourth fish plate and gusset frame where new motor mounts will be for added weight. Fifth raise top of fenders at least 5 inches to accomadate added height of 6.2. Sixth lenghten fenders and hood front and back 6 inches to accomadate lenghtened frame. Seventh take a second mortgage out on your house as to do this dream machine it will cost you appox.25-30k material and labor. Eighth dream machine 25-30k ....new side by side ATV 10,800 with winch.[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]