• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2l engines on GovLiquidation

Mike_Kendall

Hello, I am seeing 6.2L engines on GovLiquidation in the military shipping container. Description does not say if they are rebuilt but some I see have the red plastic end caps over fittings. Anyway to tell if they are rebuilds? Will bidding on one with the end caps be a better bet on getting one that is rebuilt? I'm having problems with mine and thinking to get a spare to keep for the M1009's. Advanced thanks,
Mike

ABN173

I bought two 6.2's, but they were 6.5L HMMWV engines, they both needed work and were not rebuilt. Previewing helps since we all know GL is spot on with descriptionsaua

ABN173

Just to clear up my post some, I previewed and knew exactly what I was getting I bought two 6.5L engines in cans and a M54 trans for the minimum bid. I figured it was a good deal and I can drop the 6.5L in a cucv with a bit of extra work. I just did not want to be lumped into the "you guys" catagory Gimpy. The guy is obviouly new Gimpy at least he posted and asked for advice before bidding, so I give him props there at least.

Last edited:

Mike_Kendall

Thanks for the reply on the two hummer engines that you got, I'm currious how much it cost you to rebuild them? I also thought they were Hummer engines from the looks of the picture. If it is a Hummer engine and does need a rebuild it would still work as a spare for my M1009 I am thinking as they are close to the same block. There is a surplus place on Ebay that is selling what appears to be hummer engines. I sent questions to them twice and never recieved a reply. What I'm getting tired of doing is crawling around the engine compartment for major engine work and not having a spare. A cherry picker and a spare engine may go a long way when I need it and be worth the investment even if it needs to be rebuilt. I don't want to get a 6.2l from the local junk yard as a spare that has incredibly high miles on it and probably cracked webs.

Last edited:

ABN173

I sold one engine and the M54 trans to a friend so I pretty much broke even. There are some parts that have to be swapped out such as the exhaust manifolds. There is plenty of information just use the search feature.

Don't worry about Gimpy he means well and is generally not like that, probably something else wearing on him......take a knee face out and drink water we will all be fine:-D

Mike_Kendall

OK, I understand that the brunt of that was directed towards GL who is obviously trying to make a buck. They are limited by what is given to them. If I'm not mistaken, the same auction can be had by going directly to the DRMS website and not having to worry about a 10 percent commision isn't that correct? I purchased a Harris radio amplifier years ago directly off of DRMS and payed with a credit card. That was over 8 years ago and don't know if it still can be done that way.
I looked at the auction in GA that is currently on GL. The part number definitely appears to be a hummer engine. I found a tech manual on the internet that gave the following description for the part number 57K3567:
[FONT=CourierNew,Bold][FONT=CourierNew,Bold]
1 PAFHH 2815014396664 19207 57K3567 ENGINE,WITH CONTAIN 2001,6.5 LITER 1
DETUNED,FOR USE AS 6.2 LITER​
REPLACEMENT.........................
In the picture there was a 6.2l on the engine block. The goal that I'm considering is to have a ready engine on an engine stand. I am thinking major work will be better by swapping out completely and then working while taking my time in the garage on a stand instead of spending all my time on a two step ladder on the curb with everyone watching. I'm not a mechanic by trade and actually haven't turned wrenches in years. Bought the M1009 becuase I think it is a cool vehicle and with decent gas mileage that is a heck of a lot cheaper than new. My brothers dually with a 6.5 liter had a 2.1K injector pump and a 600 dollar gas pedal with a computer attached to it go out. I don't even want to go down that road myself.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Mike_Kendall

ABN173, Thanks again. I found a very good thread that had some good pointers. I had read about 6.5's having a reverse direction water pump and the HMMWV engine apparently does also. I am waiting for a turbo rebuild from area diesel. I pulled a homemade turbo setup from a 1984 or 1982, not sure which one, 1 ton dually pickup. It is a turbo-master with the crossover below the front of the engines pulley. They reversed both GM cast exhaust manifolds. It must have been a kit because there was a cast Y piece I recoverd also. Area diesel is rebuilding it with a garret style turbo charger in the same flange and used mine as a core. I am not sure on all the details of how they do it but the rebuilt turbo is costing me 500 dollars plus tax and shipping. That is alot cheaper than the 2,7K banks one. I will get a flange welded to the bottom of the crossover pipe I recovered to make it easier to remove and also add another flange on the section of down exhaust for same reason. My main concern is after seeing how it is nearly impossible to access parts of the passenger side of the engine with the turbo installed.
The extra engine is something I'm considering because I don't want long down times and am tired of the difficulty of maintenance when it comes to some types of maintenance. I have purchased two more M1009's and waiting for the paperwork to clear. With eventually 3 of them I should be able to drive them regularly and have extra engines when needed. These 6.2 and 6.5 engines really have a horrible reputation. There is an ex-military guy here who used to work on them who was asked if he wanted to help and the answer was to "drive it off a cliff, he will never touch another 6.2/6.5 again now that he is out". I called two different machine shops today to get my heads vacuum checked for possible bent valves. One shop said "I'm sorry you have one" and the other shop said somthing similar. Both responses came after I first called and was asking the price for push rods and the clean/vacuum test. I think the 6.2 and 6.5 are probably some of the most misunderstood diesels out there. I like mine but will say there are some things about it that you may have to learn the hard way.

ABN173

I still live in government housing on base so I don't have the ability to work on mine yet. I planned to either turn it in for somebody to rebuild before I deploy again or just hang on to it and rebuild it myself when I retire and move back home.