• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2l gasketology

FridgeBrilliance

So I need to replace the oil pan, trans pan, and valve cover gaskets on Hester (86 m1009). I have never shopped for this kind of stuff. Only ever wrenched on motorcycles, so I was wondering if you guys have a preferred brand for gaskets for these motors, as I will only be giving her the best of everything.

Thanks in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't go wrong with FelPro.

If you are removing the oil pan you may think about changing the oil pump. How many miles are on the truck?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can FIND an ACDelco unit that would be great. Most are made in China. If you change it out, make sure you pre-prime it before attempting to start the engine. Ask me how I know....:)

Riftweaver

And if you remove the oil pan and it has a rope style rear main seal, you may want to upgrade it. They now offer a 2 piece lip seal style seal to replace the rope style. We had much better luck with them lasting. Not to mention they are much easier than the rope to install and get to seal up.

FelPro is my first vote as well.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And remoember, if you are replacing the valve covers, you will have to remove the injector lines completely or risk bend them out of shape.

The TMs cover R&R of everyone of the gaskets you mentioned.

FridgeBrilliance

And if you remove the oil pan and it has a rope style rear main seal, you may want to upgrade it. They now offer a 2 piece lip seal style seal to replace the rope style. We had much better luck with them lasting. Not to mention they are much easier than the rope to install and get to seal up.

FelPro is my first vote as well.
Who makes this 2-piece lip seal you speak of?

(And by the way, you guys are amazing. I am extremely grateful to have this resource available.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks