• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Run out of gas...Procedure?

sedone

I learned my fuel gage accuracy today and ran out of Diesel.
I've tried air in the filler at the tank but no go.
What is the proper way to re fuel and where should my fuel
filter on a M1009 be?
TIA, Sedone

ida34

There is a valve on top of the fuel filter housing. Open it and crank the engine until fuel flows out of the top with no air bubbles. It should fire after the air is gone. The filter assembly is on the passenger's side of the firewall. It is rectangular.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also need to crack the injectors and bleed the air out of the pump that way, since the pump is after the filter housing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fresh batteries are always a must as well. If it won't crank fast, it's difficult to bleed out.

CCATLETT1984

If you can, get it inside where its warm. It will fire much easier without having to fight the cold weather. also you could remove the rubber hose from the top of the injector pump and crank a few times to get most of the air out of the lines before it has to go through the injectors. You really shouldn't need to crack the lines on the injectors. you could remove the pink wire on the top of the IP, then it won't push the air into the injectors, but just back to the tank through the return line.

I replaced the lift pump on mine and it only took about 4 cycles of cranking for 5sec then resting for 20sec to get it to fire.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was run out of fuel, the injector lines are dry, as is the pump. Pulling the pink wire will keep the IP from trying to pump fuel out to the lines and injectors. The IP will get fuel, but it will not bleed the air in the injector lines.

Will it start eventually? Sure, but the starter will get a good (or bad) workout doing it... I hate replacing starters in these trucks, so I'm cautious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks