• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 heads on 6.2 motor

kapnklug

So I just installed a set of new 6.5 heads from SSD on my '85 M1009 ($750, approx $900 shipped). Some things I noticed:
1. First, they fit with no big problems. They have a thicker flange around the exhaust ports, which moves each exhaust manifold maybe 1/4" further outboard; this was a little bit of an issue with the oil-supply line for my turbo (stock line from a '93 K3500), which no longer reached. On the plus side, that extra room eliminates the clearance problem many SS'ers have confronted when installing a turbo, between the exhaust manifold and the #4 & #6 injectors. There is now at least a 1/4" gap where before I had to space the manifold out with 2 exhaust gaskets & grind some off the injector-line nut. On the minus side, the turbo manifold is that much closer to the framerail, but still clears. Intake-manifold side is exactly the same.
2. The brackets over the valve covers, that support the injector lines, need extensions of 1/4"-1/2" to reach the injector line clamps. Tried to upload pix of this, but kept getting error message despite small file size. Anyway, I made some out of 16gauge strips. It's a no-brainer.
3. They're 5lbs heavier than the 6.2 head. I used a rolling shop crane to remove and install. Paint 'em BEFORE you put 'em on.
4. Truck runs about the same. I wasn't looking for a performance increase, just a repair with brand new parts.

scottladdy

What are you getting for compression now? Especially that #1 cylinder that took the brunt of the beating?

kapnklug

First off, my compression gauge is a cheapo, and I don't think very accurate as far as numbers go, but it is consistent.
#1 (damaged) cyl reads 200psi; all other cyls fall between 250-300 psi. I believe the spec is 400. But it runs fine.