• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 l swap out to 6.5 l turbo in 2001 m1123

Hello and as always , your insights are very much appreciated.
We are in process of doing our first turbo swap it is replacing a 6.5l n/a in a 2001 m1123.
Mechanic called me and said doesn't fit . Uggh!!
From pix he sent me (i am out of town till next week ) looks like it is not clearing the body just barely/ i read about this on other forum post where guys talk about trimming the body /does any one have a bit more specifics such a s how much etc . I have the turbo doghouse my assumption is it must be a bit deeper than standard doghouse and as such able to cover the body cut ?
Our mechanic is telling me a 1 or 2 inch body lift would also do it and i saw reference to that on a couple old threads has anyone done this and if so, how much lift is needed ! / the body alterations seem fairly straightforward any advice from those that have done it / i know it is a longshot but if anyone had a pix that would be great . Any help much appreciated /we are very grateful !

Attachments

Wire Fox

Alright, both solutions are correct. You need a lift and you need to trim the body in the doghouse opening. Easiest way to know where to trip is to install the turbo doghouse cover and then reach up from under to trace out the shape it makes. Just make sure you leave enough for the cover to seal against. In addition, you will need to do a body lift. I don't have the specifics, but I think 1 inch was enough. I beet someone like Retiredwarhorses has done a hundred of these swaps and knows exactly what you need.

erasedhammer

I did it with a 1/2" body lift. A bit tight on the intake manifold but works well.
The body tub needs to be cut there mostly and a little on the drivers side to make it fit like a factory model. I did it with a small circular saw, some people get the trim tabs to add the lip back in, but not required.
Trim tabs can be found on hummerpartsguy.

Action

Erasedhammer is correct. The AMG spacers are 1/2" and sit between the body and upper rubber mounts.

Street Legal Humvees, Do you want me to stop by Friday after work or on Saturday?

xmiltm998

it fits. I just swapped out my 6.2 for a 6.5 td. You have about an inch between the manifold and the windshield frame. I used a gantry in my garage and had the engine at a very steep angle to dip it in. You will also have to cut some of the body at the doghouse to accommodate the exhaust manifolds, not much and the dog house covers it up.

But.... with all that persuasion to get the engine in, I did just buy a 3" body lift and will be installing it. i was against them but went down to Predator and and saw a few HMMWV's with it and it looks good especially with 39's or 40's.

Action

I guess this guy forgot the website he asked for help on. I offered to take my humvee to him to look at. He never replied after the initial post.or maybe he realized how much trouble and cost was involved paying someone else to work on his humvee.

Rcco

I did it with a 1/2" body lift. A bit tight on the intake manifold but works well.
The body tub needs to be cut there mostly and a little on the drivers side to make it fit like a factory model. I did it with a small circular saw, some people get the trim tabs to add the lip back in, but not required.
Trim tabs can be found on hummerpartsguy.
What trim tabs? I did I quick search and didn't find any.

I was thinking of the rubber duck 2" lift kit........and suggestions?

Action

What trim tabs? I did I quick search and didn't find any.

I was thinking of the rubber duck 2" lift kit........and suggestions?
AMG only adds 1/2" spacers at the 6 body mounts. If you raise body 2", then you have to drop the fuel tank 2" so it wont hit the propshaft.
With the motor out, you can install the turbo doghouse. Get in the engine compartment and trace the edge of the doghouse. That is where the new opening needs to be. If you just cut the tunnel, you will lose the "lip" on the edge of it. You can reuse the cutoff part or buy new tabs.

Rcco

Thank you for the reply. I did buy a new style fuel tank (read somewhere that its needed) I wonder if the easiest way is just replace with all new body mounts and add the 1/2" spacer Does the stock bolts have enough room for the spacer?

Action

If only doing the 1/2" spacer, can the fuel tank remain in its original location?
There are 2 1/2" spacers stuck on top of the tank. I don't know if the straps are the same. You can find the exploded diagrams in TM 9-2320-280-24p-1 and TM 9-2320-280-24p-2

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMG only adds 1/2" spacers at the 6 body mounts. If you raise body 2", then you have to drop the fuel tank 2" so it wont hit the propshaft.
With the motor out, you can install the turbo doghouse. Get in the engine compartment and trace the edge of the doghouse. That is where the new opening needs to be. If you just cut the tunnel, you will lose the "lip" on the edge of it. You can reuse the cutoff part or buy new tabs.
You also have to clearance the steering shaft and relocate the steering shaft boot. the fuel tank drop is a PITA as it puts the fill fitting on the tank directly into the body mount and you have to lengthen the front straps, you can put longer bolts in the rear straps.