• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Motor replacement cost

Salty dog

Looking at a 1123 with the 6.5, motor has the intake manifold off as well as the fuel injector lines disconnected. Did not do a complete inventory of everything under the hood. standing Water on top of the block. Wanted to get a ballpark of what it would cost labor wise to swap the engine out. Personally, it's been about 20 years since I pulled a motor.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Companies used to sell pullouts. Engines with tranny and xfer cases. 2-4 thousand.

RWH charges 8 K.

Others have gone to buy used marine or civilian 6.5 Detroit Diesels at junk yards.

You should start on our classified adds and with site sponsors.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Takes about 4 hours to pull the engine out and minimum of 8 to put a dressed engine back in. Your swimming pool engine might be rebuildable, knock the pistons out and see how bad the cyl wall pitting is. Might clean up at 020.

springer1981

I do not know if that 1123 has a 3 speed or not but this could be an option, even comes with a TCM and looks absolutely new and it is local to you.
I would definitely try some negotiation.

https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/7556553937.html
It is a little disconcerting he is not running a filter into the IP for test running.
I saw that about a week ago and it was originally listed for $7000. He's gone up $1500 in a week. I bet a good negotiator would get it for $6K.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman. Nice find BUT that’s a n/a $2000 engine. $8500 is way too much IMHO.
I did say to negotiate, cash is king right now!! I did pick up a turbo GEP with about 100mi on it for less than 2K but that was like being hit by lightning, would never happen again. I think somewhere between 4-5K considering it has a trans, transfer case and TCM all like new would be a good deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks