• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L Idle

mccullek

Put about 35 miles on my M1097R1 today. Runs and drives good now. I’ve fixed a lot of small piddling issues on it now. It ran well from day one after putting new batteries in it, but it feels to me it idles a bit high? Is that common for them to idle high or should I try to adjust it?

How difficult is it to adjust idle on these motors?

I have rebuilt the steering gear box, put new wipers and a new wiper spray pump on it, new LED headlights, repaired the soft doors and missing rear window on the soft top. If you need to repair your window stitching on your soft doors, the sewing awls on Amazon work great. Windows are like new again.

I’m just not sure on the idle though. The motor purrs and cranks up instantly, but I’m wondering if the idle is a little high, as it will take off with no gas pedal if you let off the brakes.This is a 6.5L with no turbo and the 3 speed transmission.

mccullek

Any idea what the RPMs should be at idle? I will try the optical tach. I read something about it in a previous thread while searching idle, but never really saw what expected idle might be?

blutow

It’s a simple (and obvious) adjustment, just a limit screw on the linkage up by the injection pump. Also, check to make sure it is returning all the way. I had to work the spring and bracket a bit to get mine to return reliably all the way to the stop.

Thumper580

Any idea what the RPMs should be at idle? I will try the optical tach. I read something about it in a previous thread while searching idle, but never really saw what expected idle might be?
Bring it up to operating temperature... On top of the injector pump there are two Packard plug in connectors, one to the front and one to the rear. Pull the rear one and adjust idle. Once set to where you want it, reconnect the rear Packard plug in (I can't remember the wire number).

mccullek

Turns out my high idle knob was stuck slightly open. I got it moving and was able to push it in about 1/4 inch further and it idles normally now. It was completely frozen and would not move without a little lube

I haven’t checked it with a gauge yet, but I have one on order and will verify it when it comes in, but it sounds normal now. Thanks for the tips to solve this one quickly.

The weather was nice here today so I got the pressure washer out and was able to clean it up and wash it for the first time. It had a black haze with mold growing on it in spots. Probably hasn’t been cleaned in years. Pics attached and were taken after the wash.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks