• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L NA GEP (Detuned) Exhaust Crossover

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1988 M998 has a 6.5L (Detuned) and the 3 speed transmission. The head shield on the cross over pipe is banging horribly (and will likely fall off soon). A previous owner used some metal tie straps to try to hold it in place, but needless to say that isn't lasting.

Which cross-over pipe do I need for this configuration? Is it the same pipe as 6.2L?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to change one due to rusted out flanges cracked at the exhaust manifold. My recommendation if the pipe is good otherwise, cut that critter off and be done with it.

The job in not crazy stupid but no walk in the park either aligning the exhaust with the muffler and access to the exhaust manifold next to starter is not a piece of cake for 3 fastners.
YMMV

If you do change, Order the exhaust flange gaskets also.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use new nuts and bolts, I started the top right bolt from the front before installing the pipe and made sure to align it as the pipe went in, then get it in a little bind so starting the nut is easier, the rest are a piece of cake compared to the top right one.
All the fasteners are nut/bolt so you can CAREFULLY torch the old ones out, definitely have someone on fire watch!!!
And as juanprado said get all new "gaskets"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1988 M998 has a 6.5L (Detuned) and the 3 speed transmission. The head shield on the cross over pipe is banging horribly (and will likely fall off soon). A previous owner used some metal tie straps to try to hold it in place, but needless to say that isn't lasting.

Which cross-over pipe do I need for this configuration? Is it the same pipe as 6.2L?
just remove the shield…not needed, some pipes have them, some don‘t, it’s even the same case on the turbo down pipe, some have it, some don’t.
The TM does call for 2 different part numbers based on if it’s a 6.2 or 6.5, I just use any of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks