• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L Turbo Diesel PMD trouble

Michael

I think my PMD on my 98 GMC pickup has gone bad. I have been reading on the net for a while now and have decided I need one of the relocation units advertised. Anyone here know about the problem and tried any of the after market kits?

also, does anyone have a link to the main diesel pickup forum?

Michael

HeadWizard

I've got mostly HEATH parts on my '94 6.5 Chevy PU. Relocated PMD, bigger injectors, TurboMaster boost controller, new chip, ported intake, cooling upgrade and larger exhaust. Made a world of difference. Am getting 2 mpg better also.

If you don't relocate your PMD, replacement will take a few hours as you have to remove quite a few parts.

You can buy extension harnesses off ebay pretty cheap.

mangus580

Guess the reason I mention it... is GM put an extended 'warranty' on the IP... 10 years? (or was it 11), 120k miles. Our suburban is at the dealer getting its 3rd IP in 6 months.... (PMD finally relocated)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine has done this dirty deed and was under warranty for the first two and is now waiting to do this again someday so an extra PMD is on hand and relocation kit is in the truck just waiting for it to do the thing again. First time it happened to me the dealer would not touch it so I started hauling my video camera around and when it started acting up I started recording. After getting the desk guy to finally let me see the manager and showing it to him the truck got in and fixed for free. I am holding up relocating mine right now until I can figure the absolute coolest place to put it because under the hood still gets pretty hot. I am thinking about out under the fender or something like that where it will get lots of airflow to take the heat out of the heatsink that came with the kit.

HeadWizard

ARMYMAN- If 4wd, you can mount to the aluminum skid plate just behind the bumper. I fabbed up a .250" piece of aluminum and mounted it with stand-offs to the front of the skid plate. The PMD was mounted between the two plates. Constant air flow and no engine heat when mounted there.

Attachments

Michael

RE: Re: RE: 6.5L Turbo Diesel PMD trouble

My truck only has abut 40,000 miles on it. I think the warranty is 12 years and over 100,000 miles. I think I will call the service dept tomorrow and see what they say. I can't believe I have had the truck this long and didn't know about this problem. I bought it when it was about 1 year old and had 8000 miles on it.

I found this web site but all the good info seems to be for sale. Is it worth paying to join or is there a free area that I haven't found?

Michael

RE: Re: RE: 6.5L Turbo Diesel PMD trouble

Our suburban is at the dealer getting its 3rd IP in 6 months.... (PMD finally relocated)
Did the dealer finally relocate it or did you have to? From my reading it seems that if you just replace the PMD and don't relocate it that it tends to fail again very quickly. I guess that would be fine if I were to trade the truck as soon as it was fixed, but the only real cure seems to be to move it.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking out loud here....since it seems that heat is the big enemy for the PMD(and the DS4 injection pump in general), has anyone added a fuel cooler to their trucks like the Duramax uses? I was changing the oil in my wife's diesel VW last week and even noticed that the TDI uses one. I know some guys were discussing this idea when I was a member over on the 6.2/6.5 diesel page a couple of years ago...

My 6.5 pickup had 165k on the green tag injection pump without any problems when I sold it in '06, I must have been one of the lucky ones.
Chad

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: 6.5L Turbo Diesel PMD trouble

Michael said:
Our suburban is at the dealer getting its 3rd IP in 6 months.... (PMD finally relocated)
Did the dealer finally relocate it or did you have to? From my reading it seems that if you just replace the PMD and don't relocate it that it tends to fail again very quickly. I guess that would be fine if I were to trade the truck as soon as it was fixed, but the only real cure seems to be to move it.
Dealer relocated it for me... but at my cost of $300, and they did a pretty crappy job.

If you are in the warranty period, by all means, have the dealer replace it. You might try talking to your dealer about the relocation, but most wont do it. I went with the plan, that I would soak them for an IP every time it failed until the warranty ended (got like 300 miles left).

mangus580

Oldvw2 said:
Thinking out loud here....since it seems that heat is the big enemy for the PMD(and the DS4 injection pump in general), has anyone added a fuel cooler to their trucks like the Duramax uses? I was changing the oil in my wife's diesel VW last week and even noticed that the TDI uses one. I know some guys were discussing this idea when I was a member over on the 6.2/6.5 diesel page a couple of years ago...

My 6.5 pickup had 165k on the green tag injection pump without any problems when I sold it in '06, I must have been one of the lucky ones.
Chad
Its a great thought Chad, but the real problem is heat soak from when the engine isnt running. The fuel does an 'ok' job of keeping it cool while running, but when you shut it off... all that heat from the engine roasts the PMD.

My most recent pump.... started leaking fuel at 600 miles!! Now its in the body shop, as the dealer backed it into a lift pushing it around the shop. Its been a ROUGH road this last time around....

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
Its a great thought Chad, but the real problem is heat soak from when the engine isnt running. The fuel does an 'ok' job of keeping it cool while running, but when you shut it off... all that heat from the engine roasts the PMD.

My most recent pump.... started leaking fuel at 600 miles!! Now its in the body shop, as the dealer backed it into a lift pushing it around the shop. Its been a ROUGH road this last time around....
Yeah heat soak would definitely be a problem still - that was one reason the plastic engine cover was hanging in the garage in the summer months (no need to keep all that heat around the engine). I'd put it back on for the winter(not that we have real winters in NC).

Sorry to hear about the Sub - first it starts spewing fuel and then you get some free body damage courtesy of the dealer. Thinking about a mechanical inejection pump conversion yet? 8)
Chad

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the relocation heat sink from ssdiesel supply. I also pop the hood when i get home from work, espacillay if i've benn running the A/C. This PMD has lasted 2 years now. I was planning on getting a cowel inducon hood and trimming it so engine compartment air can excape. Mabye next year when i get it painted. I don't like the idea of installing it behinde the skid plate. It would probally get wet durnig a heavy rain, or when i go off road. Also having a fuel heater it this climate is a waste.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks