• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5NA idles and revs fine no horsepower

TheMusicMan

**Update**
Tore down the Transfer Case and found damage not shown with the telescopic camera we had used. Issue was definitely the T-Case. The gear is completely destroyed. Weird there was no debri when drained and no obvious sign of failure until taken apart. Now to save the money for a new t-case lol

Original Post:
Hi All,

I have a 2002 6.5NA 1097A2. Today something happened and I have no idea what caused it. While driving the engine got really loud and lost all power. At first it sounded like the transmission was grinding. The engine sounds perfect while idling it shifts fine and all fluid lvls are good. No water in oil. But now it won’t go over 40mph and oil pressure goes from 25psi idling to pegged at 100psi when I press the throttle. (I have aftermarket speed hut gauges so maybe something like a short in that regard but I doubt it). Any tips of where to loom would be greatly appreciated.

**update: I tried a new tcm and nothing changed. Engine seems to idle fine and revs up. It won’t even hit 30mph now. Oil pressure still only drops to maybe 70psi when idling and pegs to 100psi the moment the throttle is hit. Tried taking it around the block and it barely wants to go. I dropped the transmission pan and no debris and perfectly clean. Changed oil and dropped the pan and also no blockages in oil filter or debris in oil pan. I have also checked the air intake and exhaust for blockages and nothing. I honestly can’t get it fast enough to know if it will shift there is just no power behind it. I almost can’t even get it on the 6in blocks I have to pull it up on. I’ve been through the manual and I honestly am at wits end any advice is appreciated. Not sure wha to try next. Fuel or injector pump? Would it still idle fine even if they were bad?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to eliminate the lubrication system as a culprit.

papakb

You've had a transmission failure and the trans is stuck in limp mode. In other words it's not shifting beyond second gear and that's why it's so loud and won't go over 40 MPH. Search this forum for all the reasons this happens, there are several that all need to be checked out. Could be something as simple as a broken wire, a bad relay, a bad sensor or an all out trans falure.

TheMusicMan

You've had a transmission failure and the trans is stuck in limp mode. In other words it's not shifting beyond second gear and that's why it's so loud and won't go over 40 MPH. Search this forum for all the reasons this happens, there are several that all need to be checked out. Could be something as simple as a broken wire, a bad relay, a bad sensor or an all out trans falure.
Thank you, I am looking into the transmission as well now. On the way home it felt not like it has no power though and it did go into 3rd but I couldn’t get fast enough to get to 4th. I am jacking it up this week and going through everything step by step.

TheMusicMan

**Update**
Tore down the Transfer Case and found damage not shown with the telescopic camera we had used. Issue was definitely the T-Case. The gear is completely destroyed. Weird there was no debris when drained and no obvious sign of failure until taken apart. Now to save the money for a new t-case lol