• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 cracked piston

TAZZJR

While doing a head gasket job, I cleaned my pistons of and noticed that all 6 cracked to varying degrees in the spiral groove on top of the piston. I will add pictures when I can

I'm wanting to replace them. I'm looking to buy parts and seeking knowledge.

Flint Westwood

If you are replacing the piston the sleeves come right out anyway. Buy the piston and sleeve kit, new crankshaft bearings, and gasket kit as well and be done. If the pistons are cracked (caused excessive blowby and lack of power) like mine was it needed an overhaul. In the process you'll also probably find you need to do a clutch job as well. I just finished my rebuild and it turned out fine and it will for you if you are methodical. You didn't buy a deuce to save money did you?

TAZZJR

If you are replacing the piston the sleeves come right out anyway. Buy the piston and sleeve kit, new crankshaft bearings, and gasket kit as well and be done. If the pistons are cracked (caused excessive blowby and lack of power) like mine was it needed an overhaul. In the process you'll also probably find you need to do a clutch job as well. I just finished my rebuild and it turned out fine and it will for you if you are methodical. You didn't buy a deuce to save money did you?
What tools did you have to use to pull and replace the sleeves? Were you able to do this in frame?

ToddJK

What tools did you have to use to pull and replace the sleeves? Were you able to do this in frame?
The sleeves will slide out easily. Easiest way to do it without damage to anything, turn the engine over with a breaker bar or wrench on the bolt for the crank pulley. As the pistons cycle, the sleeves will start to come up. If you're redoing all the cylinders, just pull them out as the piston forces them up, if not, you have to push the sleeves you don't want to come out back down before another crank on the pulley. Sometimes it will follow the piston back down but not usually and a helper with some pliers can easily pull them out as you turn that crank pulley.
Putting the new ones or the old ones back in, easy. However, you definitely need a suitable size piston ring compressor and I found it was easier to insert the sleeves first, then the piston from the top with a helper on the bottom to direct the rod and bearing to the crankshaft.

I did this when my head blew. Left motor in truck, tore it down from the top and had the fluids drained and oil pan removed, exposing all the essential stuff. I did the piston and sleeve replacement from the top. The sleeves have a ridge on the top that makes it so it can only be inserted from the top, thus is why I did the piston the same way, from the top, motor still in frame of the truck.

TAZZJR

The sleeves will slide out easily. Easiest way to do it without damage to anything, turn the engine over with a breaker bar or wrench on the bolt for the crank pulley. As the pistons cycle, the sleeves will start to come up. If you're redoing all the cylinders, just pull them out as the piston forces them up, if not, you have to push the sleeves you don't want to come out back down before another crank on the pulley. Sometimes it will follow the piston back down but not usually and a helper with some pliers can easily pull them out as you turn that crank pulley.
Putting the new ones or the old ones back in, easy. However, you definitely need a suitable size piston ring compressor and I found it was easier to insert the sleeves first, then the piston from the top with a helper on the bottom to direct the rod and bearing to the crankshaft.

I did this when my head blew. Left motor in truck, tore it down from the top and had the fluids drained and oil pan removed, exposing all the essential stuff. I did the piston and sleeve replacement from the top. The sleeves have a ridge on the top that makes it so it can only be inserted from the top, thus is why I did the piston the same way, from the top, motor still in frame of the truck.
Thank you. This answers alot of questions I had and will save alot of headaches

TAZZJR

I just pulled my heads and while all 6 were cracked, only one was out of spec. Spec being <5/16 & <.020. One crack was about 1/2" long.
If I had the money, I'd replace all but I'm only doing the one.
If you can find a wooden handle broom at a dollar store. Cut the head off and its pretty good tool for pushing the pistons out from the bottom. Be aware that if you are not square on smooth surfaces or if you catch on of the bottom lips of the piston, the end of the broom can split and fall on your face.

TAZZJR

Ok I have replaced my pistons. The TM I read said 100 foot pounds of torque for the connecting rod bolts. When I took them off it sure seemed to take alot more than 100 foot pounds of torque to take them off. Is 100 foot pounds correct?

DaneGer21

Ok I have replaced my pistons. The TM I read said 100 foot pounds of torque for the connecting rod bolts. When I took them off it sure seemed to take alot more than 100 foot pounds of torque to take them off. Is 100 foot pounds correct?
I found this snippet. 800 INCH pounds. Or 66.66 Foot pounds. Anyone else confirm?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks