• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6-lug to 8-lug

MotDab

I own a '86 Chevy Blazer M1009. I work on medium and large scale diesels, and I don't have much experence with the hands on mechanics of the vehicle itself. As some of you may know it has an upgraded suspension, but still has 6 lug wheels.
I also have an old F-250, early 90s. Does anyone know if I can take the 8-lug hubs off of that and replace the 6-lugs? And what kind of work would it require?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No you can't take F250 hubs and install them on the Blazer 10 bolts. The easiest (cheapest) way is to find an old chev 3/4 ton and swap out the axles.

4bogginchevys

You dont have to swap the whole axle up front. If you like the gearing for your usage than all you need for the front is "big hub" style rotor/hub housings and the bearings that fit the HOUSING...the spindle is the right one. New or used locking hubs(from the source where you got the housings) and make the switch. The hubs will be external (internal is whats there) they use (6) 3/8 bolts to attach and are potentially stronger than internal hubs. Then drop a 14 bolt in the rear and your done. It's just as easy to make this switch as it is to re-grease whats already there (front). Good Luck:-D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless I am missing something, this is a blazer with 10 bolt front end. When did GM make an 8 lug hub that will fit that?

4bogginchevys

it's one of the tricks I learned while swapping to the top of the truck food chain..lol. Early d44 axles used the same spindle as corporate for the 3/4 to big hub trucks. d44 axles also used a small hub 3/4 ton setup that would use the same internal hubs as 1009's with a different spindle than the others aswell.:-D If requested I can take a few pictures of stuff laying in the shop tomarrow.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are saying you can take a hub off say a 3/4 ton chevy pickup from the late 70's with a dana 44 front end and put those hubs on a corporate 10 bolt from the mid 80's? IF it does work, it would still have the weak 10 bolt axles and would have to prolly buy the whole axle to get the hubs anyway. He would be better off putting the whole Dana 44 and gain some strength and he would have matching ratios since 3.08 14 bolts aren't easy to come by.

4bogginchevys

I'm not convinced, as many times as i've been told that 44 is better than corporate and I still think it's marginal, the only thing you get are slightly larger axles at 1 paticular point in that axle, and 99 out of 100 times the joint will go first. D 44's are good for jeeps and toyata's for wheelin, neither of the 2 are real good for full size trucks wheelin'. With that said if wheelin' is in mind than it may be better to use corporate stuff for plentiful parts since everyone wants a d44. If not for wheelin' than strength gain is completely unimportant. I agree, 14 bolt 3.07's are less common than 3.73's and even less common than 4.10's, but they are out there. I think it's agood idea to run something a little less common so that others wont be lookin' for the same part all the time. Spoken from a junk yard point of view of course. Overall the 14 bolt is less common, and the 3.07/corporate 10 bolt has got to be the most common gear ever made.:-D btw, i'm not sure about other corners of the country, here you pull the part you want and rarely do you have to buy the part your part is attached to.

Last edited:

acmunro

3/4 ton 8 Lug Front axle GM 10 bolt

Unless I am missing something, this is a blazer with 10 bolt front end. When did GM make an 8 lug hub that will fit that?

1979- I've seen 3/4 ton trucks from then on with GM 10 bolts up front (with 8 lug wheels). That said I have a 79 with the D44 with 8 lug wheels. I believe that was the change over year. It is pretty safe to say if it is 1980 - 1987 3/4 ton with 8 lug wheels it has the GM 10 bolt up front. It could be argued forever, but I think one is as strong as the other - 10 bolt vs. D44. One thing for sure neither is a D60.

MotDab

My original goal was to simple convert the hubs from 6 lug to 8 lug. Upgrading the axles wasn't something i had considered yet. I am new to this whole aspect of being a mechanic, or working on something that doens't have fire.
However I am considering it now....
My goal to be beat this thing up, and fix it. Leave on repeat. Off-roadin from mudding, bombing through snow, rock crawlin... and anything else I can get myself into.

This might also help. I am looking at doing an engine swap within a year or two (pending on extra cash) to a 6bt Cummins 12 or 24 valve. Transmission I can mate to it, but from there on out I'm lost. Transfer case right down to the wheels.

91W350

With the torque and weight of a 6BT you are gping to want a Dana 60. Depending upon your tire height, you may be best off to do the M1008 axle swap somebody linked to earlier. There are a few members that have swapped the 6BT in, the 4BT seems beter suited because of the weight and relatively short firewall to radiator distance. I would say to spend the money on a badly damaged M1008 and rob the axles. Glen

4bogginchevys

1979- I've seen 3/4 ton trucks from then on with GM 10 bolts up front (with 8 lug wheels). That said I have a 79 with the D44 with 8 lug wheels. I believe that was the change over year. It is pretty safe to say if it is 1980 - 1987 3/4 ton with 8 lug wheels it has the GM 10 bolt up front. It could be argued forever, but I think one is as strong as the other - 10 bolt vs. D44. One thing for sure neither is a D60.
Absolutely right, I believe the change over year was 79' aswell. Most dana 44's have small hubs just like the 10 bolt. It is a very specific few years where dana made the big hub version with external hubs. I've seen a few corporates converted aswell at the junk yard. I've personally used calipers, visual test, and am running that combo on the mud truck...44/corporate spindles/big hub, and so is my buddy....you might be amazed at the few little oddly interchangable things GM/DANA have done over the years. We use to joke about making an interchange book for the wheelin' crowd...I am sure it will interchange...and be cost effective!:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch from Dana 44 to corporate 10 bolt was 1977. There was a 1st design (D44) and a 2nd design (10 bolt). All 76 and earlier D44 from the 3/4 tons had external hubs as did the Fords of that era. Most were factory equipped with a beautiful Spicer locking hub. The plastic actuators on these external Spicers was red on the Fords, Blue on the 72 and older GMs and yellow on the 73-76 GMs. 77 saw the first 3/4 tons with internal hubs. They appear weaker but in fact are a little more durable as they can take trail damage better. The same lockouts in the M1009 will go right in the 3/4 10 bolt internal hubs. Backing plates would also need to be changed as the rotors are a larger diameter. Backing plates from the 44 are more of a caliper mount with a splash shield and the 10 bolts was a large full size steel item. If you were converting the 1/2t 44 to 3/4t you would need to change the spindle as the inner bearing was smaller but the 10 bolts all used the same larger spindle. Also beware of the earlier 44s having smaller axle joints. These are inherently weaker. On a side note, you can swap everything from the balljoints out from a GM onto a Dodge front axle (must use the GM outer half shafts too) and put lockouts on the likes of the M880s. To summarize, basically everything from the balljoints out including the outer axle shaft will interchange from the 44 to the 10 bolt. Note that the 44 and 10 bolts had different tie rods and one mounted in top of the steering knuckle, the other on the bottom.

POOR WHITE BOY

The switch from Dana 44 to corporate 10 bolt was 1977. There was a 1st design (D44) and a 2nd design (10 bolt). All 76 and earlier D44 from the 3/4 tons had external hubs as did the Fords of that era. Most were factory equipped with a beautiful Spicer locking hub. The plastic actuators on these external Spicers was red on the Fords, Blue on the 72 and older GMs and yellow on the 73-76 GMs. 77 saw the first 3/4 tons with internal hubs. They appear weaker but in fact are a little more durable as they can take trail damage better. The same lockouts in the M1009 will go right in the 3/4 10 bolt internal hubs. Backing plates would also need to be changed as the rotors are a larger diameter. Backing plates from the 44 are more of a caliper mount with a splash shield and the 10 bolts was a large full size steel item. If you were converting the 1/2t 44 to 3/4t you would need to change the spindle as the inner bearing was smaller but the 10 bolts all used the same larger spindle. Also beware of the earlier 44s having smaller axle joints. These are inherently weaker. On a side note, you can swap everything from the balljoints out from a GM onto a Dodge front axle (must use the GM outer half shafts too) and put lockouts on the likes of the M880s. To summarize, basically everything from the balljoints out including the outer axle shaft will interchange from the 44 to the 10 bolt. Note that the 44 and 10 bolts had different tie rods and one mounted in top of the steering knuckle, the other on the bottom.

COULD NOT HAVE WORDED IT ANY BETTER . 77 WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE 10 BOLT FRONT:grin: WHEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY THE SPICER HUBS HOLD UP GREAT - I HAVE THEM ON MOST OF MY TRUCKS

acmunro

I have a 1979 Chevy 3/4 ton with a Dana 44 front with 8 lug wheels that I am 110% sure came from the factory that way. The dana 44 and GM 10 were hit or miss in the late 70's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks