• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6-lug to 8-lug

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "Official" switch was in 1977. Any GM partsman worthy of his catalog can show that to you in print. Were there some 44s laying around? Perhap, but GM documented the switch in 1977. Order an inner axle shaft for a 78 and try to put it in your 44. It's just not going to fit. Not trying to cause an argument, just these are the facts.

POOR WHITE BOY

You might look at the bom date on the dana 44 in question - it is hard to say original to a truck that is 30 years old. Also back in 78 ,79 ,and 80 chevy and gmc offered about 6 or 7 standard and optional axle ratios in their trucks -maybe the 10 bolt was not used for every axle ratio across the board til 79 or 80. I personally have seen a 78 model with a dana 44 front :-d I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE LARGE SPICER EXTERNAL LOCKOUTS OEM INSTALLED ON ANY TRUCKS NEWER THAN 77 MODELS

I ALSO HAVE ORIGINAL GM PARTS CATALOGS - 1977 10-20 MODELS SAYS 1ST DESIGN DANA 44 AND 2ND DESIGN CORPORATE 10 BOLT
1978 AND NEWER 10 - 20 MODELS ONLY CORPORATE 10

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks