• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 Ton Jack Stands....for a single tire swap?

pcblakeley

So, the drivers side, rear forward tire is flat and I have to take it into the shop to repair it....they are all freaked out about taking it off the truck...I think they are just ignorant to the specifics of the truck and they wanted to give me a hard time because the owner was around....but that is a whole story in itself and I will not bore you with that.

So, do you guys see any safety issue with doubling up 2, 6 ton jack stands to support the one axle while I take it to the shop to get the tube replaced?

I think I might be exceeding the limit and have a need to go get some bigger ones from a truck stop or something....

Now that I think about it, I might not have a jack that will lift the truck, all I have is a bottle type 6 ton....guess that is another purchase to add to the garage.

area52

My advice is to take it to a "truck" tire shop that deals with large heavy vehicles. They will not even blink at doing a tire on your size truck. Most "car" tire places will have problems.

And yes two 6 ton jack stands should be fine to hold up one axle. Get a 20 ton bottle jack.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
809 series BII includes an 8 and 30 ton jack.

sangamon

I use a pair of 12 ton hydraulic jacks in sequence to lift my axle. I raise the first jack as far as it goes. Then I put the second jack on blocking and raise it. Then, the first jack is removed and reblocked, etc. I follow the jacks with either a 12 ton or 6 ton jack stand, depending on height (my 12 ton jack stands won't fit under my axle until it's up a ways.) This procedure allows me to raise and reblock without an intermediate lowering of the axle to the jack stand.

I agree with going to a commercial tire shop. My Les Schwab dealer works on a lot of tractor tires, so my little 395/85R20's are easy for them. There's a very good chance that they'll have remote service, and come to you. For my second flat on my M656, I just called them, told them who I was, and said "talk to Bob, he handled this last time". Couldn't have been easier, although not cheap ($90 per hour). But, compared to $11000 for hernia surgery, it was a good deal.

When you call a tire service, make sure that they understand that it's a 20 inch TRUCK wheel. The first place I called for a Unimog tire told me that "of course, we work on 20 inch rims". Unfortunately, they were referring to 20 inch rims used with thin tires on pimped-out SUVs.

Scout

Drive the inside tire up on a block and pull the outside dual only (the budd cap/nut system retains each tire separately)
If you are dealing with a car place that's already worrying about the weight of the truck, they probably won't have what it takes to bust those things loose anyway.

emr

8s are fine and like said,... in the BII ... the tire place is clueless... most are actually.....Like hinted on above, they will hurt themselves anyway...

TeamAL2.5

I use a twenty ton bottle jack. and 2 12 ton stands on my trucks. After I get the wheel off I invite my friends over for some beers and to unknowingly get conned into loading them in the back of my 1 ton. Then i proceed to deliver said wheels, any new flaps, tubes, and/or tires to "metro" shops, the city wide bus system here. Then the fine folks in the truck shop there getthings squared away in a truly safety minded fashion. [thumbzup] IMO its best to take it to a shop that does these things all day long. that way you know its right!

pcblakeley

Killer deal, I go out for a walk around the block and you guys have got me set straight!

I like the idea of driving the car up on the one wheel and removing the outside one...I will file that one away for a just in case situation.

Thanks guys, got to get her legal and then I will make a trip to the tire shop to get her rolling legit again.

I figure if I keep the speed down and the trip short, the tire wont have too much time to get hot and distort or get derstroyed.

LanceRobson

As said, an 8 ton bottle jack is the standard roadside jack. 6 ton jack stands are fine for any axle on an M35A2 or an unloaded 5 ton cargo, dump etc but I suspect they would be scimpy at best for the rears of a wrecker.

If you are working on anything other than concrete make sure you have stable blocking under the jack and jack stands. Even asphalt can imprint with a jack stand. Be double sure to set the parking brake and chock the tires.

The 12 ton jack stands usually do not go higher than the 6 ton ones but have a wider footprint and are a lot more stable. I have 3 pair of 6 ton stands and 2 pair of 12 ton stands since we sometimes have more than one thing going on.

The only problem with the 12 ton stands is that there is not a lot of room around the rear diffs and torque rods and with the wider footprint it can be a little awkward reach some parts due to the wide footprint.

When I get rich and famous I want to buy a bigger floor jack with a taller reach that's designed for trucks.

If the tire joint didn't like the idea of taking the wheel off they may never have seen a locking rim wheel. You may want to find a place that is more familiar with truck and agricultural tires.

Lance

Jared

I concur with Area52. I bought some 14R20 Goodyears for my XM813. Had them shipped to a local truck tire place (that also does cars) and they only charged $50 per tire complete. I already had new O rings and valve stems just in case and they did need them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks