• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60 Amp Alternator Regulator Repair

Carrera911

I was driving the truck the other day and saw the volt gauge pegged. I have a volt gauge connected to one of the batteries and it was at 17 volts. Shut it down immediately and unplugged the exciter wire to drive home on battery power alone. Did some research and apparently the resistor fails commonly. Mine failed to 0 resistance which caused overcharging, apparently failing to open circuit causes no output.
It's possible to remove the regulator in the truck, one of the stupid phillips screws stripped so I had to pull the whole thing. I ordered a pair of 50 ohm, 50 watt resistors on Amazon for 8 bucks. (thanks @papakb ) Added some thermal paste for better heat dissipation, soldered it in and added silicone over the ends of the resistor as the factory does. Use compressed air while you're there to clean out dust from the brushes. Use blue loctite on all the small screws and some silicone grease on the O ring.
I had it bench checked at a local alternator shop, all was good. He also explained the 60 amp units are actually alternators despite them using brushes. It's back working well now for basically no cost.
IMG_6299.jpgIMG_6298.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well done! Thanks for this write up. Had a similar issue with mine a few years ago. I opted to replace the whole regulator, but saved the old one as I figured it could be repaired.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks