• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60 amp Generator/ Charging Question

M998AVAN

1991 HMMWV, 6.2 L, 60 amp generator. Purchased HMMWV noticed bad rattle noise from generator, after inspection mounting ear was broken (someone forgot the spacer). Charging was still good, stayed in the middle green. I purchased a new one from KASCAR and installed with spacer, charging again stayin the middle green. Got In the other day, the more I drove the gauge would slowly drop to mid yellow. I could stop for a few minutes, start it back up and charging would be good, then slowly drop again. Batteries are DEKA 6TMF, and test good. Any ideas? Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check with a multimeter at the batteries what the actual output is. Then check again at the generator just to make sure. I'd do it when first started, then again after it's dropped down.

This is just to make sure it's actually a charging issue, and not a wiring issue.

It could be the regulator failing or maybe a bad connection.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropping voltage after warming up is almost a sure sign of pending regulator failure. I have an entire pile of alternators, most just needing bearings, some regulators. Maybe one day I will start rebuilding them all, especially with how expensive they seem to be getting.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does sound like a regulator. I had the end plate type on my 60A. It wasn't hard to replace and I did it without removing the alt from the motor. DO DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES FIRST, if you decide to replace the regulator. BUT you should definitely double check all wires, including the exterior post on the other side of the + battery block under the seat (meaning that post is on the other side of the post you see in the battery box). Mine was loose back when I resurrected my Gov Planet purchase.
BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dump the 60A and invest in a 200A You will be much happier in the long run, I am!!

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks all for the advice. I installed another new 60 amp, and same thing.
Well that makes no sense.. Unless both your new and old generator have the same problem... Im thinking bad indicator. Doesnt make sense. Pull it and test resitance.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that makes no sense.. Unless both your new and old generator have the same problem... Im thinking bad indicator. Doesnt make sense. Pull it and test resitance.
He said he checked it with a meter before, so he wasn't just relying on the gauge.

Try running a separate 'sensing' wire (the small one) directly to the battery + and see what your voltages are then. If it goes up to 27-29 volts, you have a bad connection in that circuit running to the alt. Also, measure the voltage at the lug on the alternator, and at the batteries. A significant difference would be a bad connection or corroded cables.

Of course, there is always the slim chance you got two bum alternators...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1991 HMMWV, 6.2 L, 60 amp generator. Purchased HMMWV noticed bad rattle noise from generator, after inspection mounting ear was broken (someone forgot the spacer). Charging was still good, stayed in the middle green. I purchased a new one from KASCAR and installed with spacer, charging again stayin the middle green. Got In the other day, the more I drove the gauge would slowly drop to mid yellow. I could stop for a few minutes, start it back up and charging would be good, then slowly drop again. Batteries are DEKA 6TMF, and test good. Any ideas? Thanks
run long test wore leads from your batteries to the driversside...connect to your multi meter and go drive, see what’s exactly going on.

M998AVAN

I got it out and ran with the new generator 10/15 miles, gauge in yellow to begin with. Then jumped to green. Been good the last couple of days. We will see what happens. Wires seem to be all good. Took all battery cables lose and cleaned as well.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also installed a KASCAR grounding kit, while doing that I noticed diesel fuel ponded up on top of engine block? See picture. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem??
Mine had the same symptom.
-HoveringHMMWV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks