• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60 amp generator out of hibernation questions

Whiterabbit

Resurrecting a M151A2 with a 60amp gen. The truck's been sitting for 10-15yrs but with the hood closed. 1/4 inch of dust and old pollen but no rat nests. I cut the old belts and the gen turns but with just a hint of "scrunch" noise. Spin it up or flush it out with electrical cleaner then electrical lube spray? The solo wire coming from under the terminal cover is rotten but I think the connector was not plugged all the way in and caused resistance hence frying the wire. Easy to replace?
Any ideas to keep me from destroying a possibly good gen that's been sitting?
Thanks all,

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should just come back to life as is. If the excite wire is truly burned, that is not a good sign. Most of the time the rubber insulated wire from 1970's vehicles has not crumbled like it has on the 1950's vehicles.

Whiterabbit

The rubber connector is toast and about 1 inch of the wire near it so I have my fingers crossed. I have some long pieces of wire that is good with the ends so I'll replace that one and guess I'll find out. Probably a month or two from firing it up. Dreading buying batteries($$$)!

papakb

The 60 Amp Prestolite alternators have sealed regulators on their back ends so electrical spray won't do you much good here. Blow out the cobwebs and leaves from the alternator body and then of you want to remove the regulator plate by removing the 6 screws on the rear cover and carefully prying it off. There is an Oring seal on it that you don't want to cut. The regulator itself is molded into this rear cover and by removing it you will open up the slip ring/brush compartment. Blow this out with low pressure air and use a mirror to inspect the brushes. If they're worn they're easy to replace and run about $5 a set at most repair shops. Notice I didn't say O'Reilly or AutoZone. Find an alternator/starter/generator repair shop and they will have them or can get them for you.

Kurt

Whiterabbit

Blew it out, soldered a new lead for the exciter to the stud under the terminal cover, cleaned all the connections and fired that puppy up! Gauge is dead on in the green.
100_2565.jpg100_2564.jpg100_2662.jpg