• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60 Amp Regulator Help

90Jimmy

Does anyone know why there are 4 spade type connectors on the regulator but only 3 wires to plug in? I disconnected the 3 wires and am now unsure of the locations to plug back in. I know one connection was unused….just didn’t pay close enough attention while disassembling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

papakb

Possibly because you have an AMA 5102 alterntor and an AMA 5104 alternator regulator? They look the same and will physically match up but are electrically different. I went thru this about 10 years ago.

JanR

One day my M998 wasn't charging. I have battery voltage at 5A and 568. I removed the alternator and it looked brand new inside. The brushes were barely worn. I guess the regulator is the problem? The alternator is an AMA-5108UT with the new type regulator using three wires. The 50W resistor read 1.3 ohm so I changed it. This didn't help so I plan to order a new regulator.

It's hard to find the three wire regulator so can someone confirm that the four wire regulator works without using connector 3/4? It looks like some people have got it working like that and some not.

Also, does anyone know what components of the regulator usually fails? Some of them can easily be replaced.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the 4 terminal regulator has instructions on how to connect to a 3 wire alt, the wires are tagged so that should not be an issue, ask the dealer you are purchasing it from if it will work.

JanR

I replaced the regulator and left terminal 3/4 disconnected. The alternator is now charging! :) In the process I discovered two things I thought I could share.

The diameter of my old regulator (3 terminal) is 132.5mm while the diameter of the replacing one was 133.2mm. I had to grind off 0.7mm to make it fit the alternator (AMA-5108UT). I don't know if my alternator is special or if the tolerances of the regulator was off. :unsure:
Diameter.jpg

When I tried to fix my regulator I replaced the 50W resistor with a new one. According to some threads here the resistor should be 50 ohm. I measured the old resistor to ~1.3 ohm and thought it was broken. Later when my replacement regulator arrived, I noticed that it had a 1.5 ohm resistor. So either the resistors are different on different regulators, or there are some bad info floating around here. So be sure to double check before trying this repair.
Resistor.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got it going :giggle: , I have read before someone mentioning the size difference, can't remember where.
Curious what you used to remove the excess material?
What was the part number of the regulator you used?

JanR

Glad you got it going :giggle: , I have read before someone mentioning the size difference, can't remember where.
Curious what you used to remove the excess material?
What was the part number of the regulator you used?
I just used a file and carefully worked my way around the regulator until it fit the alternator. Then some sand paper to smoothen it.
The regulator was listed as 2920-01-180-8666.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks