• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60 Minutes has a story of military vehicle accidents. Tonight NOW west coast.

M1165A1

Just to share my .02 on rollovers, when I first had my HMMWV in the rugged winters of Colorado I braked hard on a downhill mountain road at about 35 mph. Not being smart enough to pump the brakes, I put the vehicle into a 1080 spin that was terrifyingly and centrifugally bad. Despite that I never felt for a second that the vehicle would flip although I was cognizant enough to know that if I hit the drainage ditch all bets were off.

M1165A1

Interesting report on Rollovers and restraint use but only through 2013:

PDF Report

The study is basically saying wear you seat belt.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have posted that a half a dozen times. Then some here will be looking for the 85 MPH speedometer.

I am nervous at 45 MPH. Wait for me. I'll see you when I get there, CAMO
I'll be drafting behind you at 45MPH. My truck gets positively twitchy above 60MPH. I've heard I can adjust the camber and toe in, but I'd rather drive slow :)
Bulldogger

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The study is basically saying wear you seat belt.

AND your Kelvar...
That's how you do it per the reg's, CAMO

helmet.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
I know two people who would not be here on this earth, had they not had their kelvar on, in a roll over. One in a HEMTT, one in a HMMWV. One got hit in the head with a M60 machine gun, and the other got hit in the head with an RT-524.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone wants a 4 speed transmission to go faster, but my m1151 with a 4 speed still has a sticker that says top speed is 55mph. Apparently the 4th speed is just there to keep your RPM's lower (or I suppose you might exceed 55mph if people are shooting at you.)

My plan is to inspect all the spindle nuts, have good tires, keep runflats installed, keep the stock wheels so as to not change backspacing, and not exceed 55mph.

Also having good driving habits and allowing enough distance between vehicles can help prevent a panic steer, which I suspect is a common cause of rollovers.
Agree on everything, however, here in south FL it is hard leaving a distance in between cars. It doesn't matter if ypu are pulling a boat or driving a humvee and leaving the safe distance to stop, people down here will get in no matter what.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This afternoon i came across a 2021 chevy full-size pickup truck sitting upside down in a hayfield 50ft away from a 55mph road, on flat ground and flat road .. Perhaps 60 Minutes should investigate how in heck that happened and give a balanced story, instead of helping the longtime-obvious "anti-military-vehicle" agenda 🤬

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on everything, however, here in south FL it is hard leaving a distance in between cars. It doesn't matter if ypu are pulling a boat or driving a humvee and leaving the safe distance to stop, people down here will get in no matter what.
coming into a yellow light with a load of horses behind the FLD120 tractor one day, it was going to be a nice smooth stop with nobody in front, just enough room to safely stop without hurting the animals... That is, until the clown coming in hot from behind with a SUV decides to pass and cut me off and got into that too-short space in front of me when the light hit red. I tell you mister, we braced for impact. The only thing that saved the day was the fool did a quick right-on-red while the other road was just starting to move 😡 (and clowns like that wonder why there is road rage)

Last edited:

dilvoy

Thats a video made by those fellas selling some sort of roll over protection. It is staged to look as bad as possible. Notice the soft top windshield without any mounting brackets welded on to properly attach that hard top skin. Not too many four man humvees without a turret, but there were some though. What other bolts were left out when placing that hard top may never be known or what else they may have done to that tub.

GTUnit

Thats a video made by those fellas selling some sort of roll over protection. It is staged to look as bad as possible. Notice the soft top windshield without any mounting brackets welded on to properly attach that hard top skin. Not too many four man humvees without a turret, but there were some though. What other bolts were left out when placing that hard top may never be known or what else they may have done to that tub.
You can explain anything away with fandom reasoning.
The HMMWV disintegrated in a roll at 45mph. Military spent millions refitting older HMMWVs with rollover mitigation tech and the new ones have it.
That wasnt because of one "staged" test.
Looking at the construction on these trucks what I saw it completely reasonable and the smart approach is to understand that these things are not built well in that regard and people operating them should exercise a level of caution greater than what they are used to with regular production vehicles. Thats all.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You can explain anything away with fandom reasoning.
The HMMWV disintegrated in a roll at 45mph. Military spent millions refitting older HMMWVs with rollover mitigation tech and the new ones have it.
That wasnt because of one "staged" test.
Looking at the construction on these trucks what I saw it completely reasonable and the smart approach is to understand that these things are not built well in that regard and people operating them should exercise a level of caution greater than what they are used to with regular production vehicles. Thats all.
Exactly. Well stated. Know what it is and isn't. It's capability and yours. (y) If that was staged... Take look at the Yermo yard out back. Crash and burn like any other truck... maybe more so.

Back to wrenching, CAMO

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How I got my donor engine for the DuraVee
View attachment 877827
my swag is that lift, oversized tires, and rim offset change were all critical factors in changing the center of gravity. I see trucks on the road like this and I either speed up or slow way down to get away from them. In many States there are laws about tires extending past a fender would fail inspection.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my swag is that lift, oversized tires, and rim offset change were all critical factors in changing the center of gravity. I see trucks on the road like this and I either speed up or slow way down to get away from them. In many States there are laws about tires extending past a fender would fail inspection.
I am not sure the tires stuck out before it rolled, TX has such a law but I see them on the road all the time.

EDIT, this truck was wrecked in San Antonio TX, I grew up there and I can tell you of all the places I have ever lived the streets are much "slippery" when wet than any other.
When I was a teen I worked at a gas station on the corner of Blanco Rd and loop 410, when it rained you could put money on there being a wreck when someone coming off of loop 410 and up the exit ramp would just lock up the brakes and collide with traffic stopped at the light at the overpass, I can still remember the sound that would get your head up to watch.
Add that to that the fact this truck had bald tires and they never had a chance...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks