• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

600 gallon aluminum tank on an M105?

TexAndy

I know they won't fit in the bed of the 105, but I'm wondering if the bed could be taken off and the tank skids mounted directly to the frame?

Has anyone done this or something like it? I'm not married to the idea of putting it on a 105, but the price on 105s is certainly very cheap right now, which is a major factor in my decision making process.

Crash_AF

I'm sure you could do it, but at 8 lbs per gal, you're looking at 4800 lbs on a trailer rated for 3K. Even if you strip off the bed, you're only gaining a couple of hundred pounds, leaving you at least 800 lbs over capacity. This is why the M149 trailers are only 400 Gal.

The M200 generator trailer is rated for 7k lbs so it might be a better choice for your tank requirements.

Later,
Joe

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that 3000# off road and 6000# on road?

We have easily put 3-4,000# in the 3/4 ton 101 trailer for the road and it didn't even go down on the overload springs.

IMHO the 600 gal tank would be fine on the 105 but the M200 would be my first choice as well.

steve

surfdog

From olive-drab.com:

Empty wt 2,650 lbs
Max gross wt 7,150 lbs

The ton and a half cargo rating of the M105 was for off-road performance. On highway, the M105 trailer would carry up to 5,500 pounds.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you sir. I knew it was more than enough for the loaded tank.

:)

steve

goldneagle

I know they won't fit in the bed of the 105, but I'm wondering if the bed could be taken off and the tank skids mounted directly to the frame?

Has anyone done this or something like it? I'm not married to the idea of putting it on a 105, but the price on 105s is certainly very cheap right now, which is a major factor in my decision making process.
How about my M353 generator trailer? Its rated 10000# GVW. I am looking to sell it and I can bring it to the LA Rally this month.

TexAndy

Diesel weighs more like 7 pounds per gallon, I think. The tank weighs 390 pounds.

Call it 4600 pounds, when full. Minus whatever the bed would have added.

Hm. I'll keep an eye out for an M200 as well. Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Goldneagle: That's a bit overkill for what I need, I think. If possible, I'd like to keep GVW within something that a 3/4 ton could safely tow, in a pinch.

Plan A is for the deuce to tow the tank trailer around. But I'd like to keep towing options as open as possible.

blybrook

I put a 350 gallon water tank in my M105 and pull it with my F250 Diesel. *yes, I know that braking is an issue, and I'm waiting for the replacement 6k axle to arrive*. With it full of water, just under 3k lbs; the trailer has NO clue that it's even there. I see or sense no spring movement during filling or emptying. The truck does know it's there on the 6-8% grades I drive to get home.

Now, you can probably do fine with a fuel pod dimensionally, but I doubt that I'd want to tow it around full unless absolutely necessary AND with the proper tow vehicle.

Are these pods even DOT certified for regular road use? The one I saw recently didn't look double walled, or with any of the typical safety gear that's currently checked by most enforcement officers. I'd hate to see someone have an accident with one and deal with that kind of spill...

Just my 2cents

Let's all be safe out there.

jimbob1111

Hi
I bought a 600 gal aluminum fuel tank, FSN 5430-585-2529
I needed somewhere to put the EMPTY fuel tank out of the way, just until I get around to cleaning it. I took some quick measurements and it fit perfect on my M116A3 generator trailer. The skids went between the fenders & the tank curves out over the fenders with a little room to spare.
I parked it behind the garage out of sight.
It will go in the shop when it's cleaned and ready to use.
I can take a pic tomorrow of it sitting on the M116A3 if ya want, it might fit in a M105 trailer bed?
I got a M105A2 behind the garage also if ya want me to measure it for ya.
Here's a couple of pics of the tank from when I bought it.

Attachments

Avn-Tech

TexAndy,

I just purchased an M200A1 generator trailer to mount my 500 gallon fuel/oil tank on.
I am now waiting on my EUC to clear, to match the two up.
I will post some photos when I get the conversion completed.

The other advantage, is the tank will be above the tanks on my Deuce and I can gravity fill my deuce tanks.
I have about 400 gallons of Oil/Hyd fluid waiting to be filtered out for use as fuel in my deuces.

I probably will not tow the unit down the road, just move it around my 7 acre property to keep it out of my way.
But I do like the idea, that I can tow it anywhere if necessary.

I tried to put the 500 gallon tank in an M105 trailer when I picked it up and it would not fit.
So I thought of taking the bed off and mounting it on the frame only, then decided it might be too much weight.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

jimbob1111

600 gal tank on M116A3 trailer

Here's the pics of the 600 gal tank on the M116A3, and a pic of a 500 gal low profile fuel pod (not mine).
The 500 gallon low profile looks to be shorter and wider than a 600 gallon.
I didn't open up the M105A2 (it's full of stuff) and measure, it's trying to rain.

HMFG

Attachments

jimbob1111

600 gallon fuel pod will fit in M105A2

Just got done doing some measuring on my M105A2 trailer.
53" inside the wheel wells, wheel wells 11.5" high.
73.5" inside trailer sides. 60" inside height with top on.

600 gallon fuel pod dimensions,
47" outside edge of skids,
fuel tank 72" wide, 49" tall
The fuel pod is 53" wide @ 16" high, M105A2 fenders are less than 12".
You can even put the racks & top on.

Scrounger

That 600 gallon fuel tank is part of the beta system. A “complete” fueling rig consists of two 600 gallon tanks secured in the bed of a 5 ton truck with the fueling unit secured behind them. The fueling unit has either a 5 hp gas engine or an electric motor that is powered from the slave receptacle. The fueling unit has a water separator/ fuel filter assembly, fuel meter and two retractable hose reels. The truck then tows a 105 with a third 600 gallon tank. For off road use we would only fill the tank 2/3 full. Even though we had the fueling unit we usually just connected a 2” hose to the tanks and used gravity to fuel our vehicles.
So yes you can place that tank in a 105 and use it for what you have planned.

emr

actually it all depends on You, fast answer...Sure u can , [thumbzup]... I happen to have a tank with hoses, and electric pump and its ready to go for 1500...

Last edited:

fasttruck

Used to haul same 600 gal tanks with diesel fuel in a m105 trailer on paved roads with a m49c back in the day. A hand pump was provided to dispense the contents of the trailer. This was in an era when most of the vehicles were gas burners and diesels the minority.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Used to haul same 600 gal tanks with diesel fuel in a m105 trailer on paved roads with a m49c back in the day. A hand pump was provided to dispense the contents of the trailer. This was in an era when most of the vehicles were gas burners and diesels the minority.
Prior to using the M1061, I know of many units that were using 105's to haul the pods. Yes it meets the weight on highways but cross country might be a frame/spring/axle...whatevery breaker.

NEIOWA

The Army mounted 600gal pods on M105 trailer for mogas until around the late 70s/early 80s. Rolled many as way too top heavy and narrow track. Wrecked a lot of equipment.

In early 80s began using bolster trailers (M796 2axle 4t) for mogas pod wagons. A MUCH more satisfactory and safe solution. So M105 is not recommended.

Isaac-1

I just wanted to note if your planning using it to haul fuel, etc. you may want to check your local laws, it seems 600 gallons is the diving point to various permit requirements, etc. in many locations.

Ike