• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6068 John Deere engine smoking and down on power some times

Philratcliffe

This is odd. I fire up my 150kw generator power by a Deere 6068. It runs fine for four or five hours then starts to labor to pull the load and smokes a lot. I’m only pulley about 50 of its rated capacity. It started doing this about a week ago. Checked the cam and valve and injection pump timing and everything is right on the money. We had a radiator fan self destruct and throw a pair of blades into the radiator so just had a new core made in Colombia. The engine isn’t getting hot every thing seems good but in a few hours it will start running poorly. Any idea what I might be overlooking. Thanks in advance for any help

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is some serious power. Since your in Columbia, I guess this is a mining or agricultural operation where this Genset is being used in?

Which Genset Model is this?

Philratcliffe

It’s a 150kw unit with a Stanford head and Deere power. I have a large island hotel. It’s onLu pushing about 47% of its rated load I was wondering if maybe it was wet stacking some. It’s fine for 4 or 6 hours when started up from cold. Then it starts smoking and not pulling the load. It drops to 1500 rpms. The machanics at the place we bought it from made some big mistakes. It had been there for over a year and they robbed some parts off it for another genset. So it needed a balancer and fan blade air filter and a few other odds and ends to be complete. The moron didn’t torque the balancer bolts so it flew off and damaged the crank snout and two bolt holes. At 1000 hours So we had to tear it down pull the crank. Weld and turn the crank snout and drill and tap two new holes. Re assembled it ran fine for A couple weeks then the two part metal fan blade threw two blades into the radiator. The fan support flew off and they didn’t use long enough bolts the the three of four threads that engaged the bolt were ripped out. So we re tapped the holes and installed longer bolts and a new international plastic fan blade. It ran fine for a month and about a week ago it started smoking and running poorly. It has about 3000 hours on it now. It’s a non epa machine with mechanical gov and mechanical fuel injection and a stanadyne injection pump. We have 48 mini fridges coming Monday so will continue to add a larger load to hopefully keep the wet stacking issue at bay if that is the problem. Will be adding a boost gauge Monday also to see what kind of boost the turbo is making. Any idea as to what else I might look at would be great. Thanks in advance for any insight

Philratcliffe

It’s a non name brand. It’s not a kohler or any other large manufacturer. I just looked up the engine number to confirm it’s the same engine as the other two units we recently purchased. Which is the John Deere 6068 which the military uses in it mep 806 units. And it has a stamford generator head. The guy sold us a enclosure but it’s junk so will probably buy one of the sound encloses that came on the other two generators that are shipping to the island tomorrow. I just want to see how quiet they are first. I have two other generators on the way that are American generator 125kw units with the same Deere 6068 engine and stamford head that are non epa engines also.
it’s weird. Yesterday it wouldn’t pull the load and smoked a lot. We shut it down for about five hours and then restarted it and it ran perfectly and carried the load. It’s been cycling between running perfectly and running poorly for about a week. We recheck the cam and injection pump timing every thing is spot on. But can’t see it clearing itself up from wet stacking by turning it off for several hours if that’s what the problem is.
So, its a non military gen set. And you still haven't told us what it is.
I went with the 6068 Deere engines because the military specs them in the 806. And the fact it’s a wet liner engine so I can rebuild the units on the island by swapping the cylinder sleeves come rebuild time. I have very little faith in the machine shops down here. Really old equipment and a lot of cheap China made equipment doesn’t give me much confidence lol.

Guyfang

Staff member
It’s a 150kw unit with a Stanford head and Deere power. I have a large island hotel. It’s onLu pushing about 47% of its rated load I was wondering if maybe it was wet stacking some. It’s fine for 4 or 6 hours when started up from cold. Then it starts smoking and not pulling the load. It drops to 1500 rpms.

47% load is way too low, and you will incur some wet stacking. So that could be a problem, but if it runs well to begin with, and starts to bog down later, kinda sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Dirty filters?
Dirty fuel supply source?
What color smoke?

Philratcliffe

It’s a 150kw unit with a Stanford head and Deere power. I have a large island hotel. It’s onLu pushing about 47% of its rated load I was wondering if maybe it was wet stacking some. It’s fine for 4 or 6 hours when started up from cold. Then it starts smoking and not pulling the load. It drops to 1500 rpms.

47% load is way too low, and you will incur some wet stacking. So that could be a problem, but if it runs well to begin with, and starts to bog down later, kinda sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Dirty filters?
Dirty fuel supply source?
What color smoke?
has fresh filters. Good fuel smoke is light grey and the engine doesn’t consume oil

strycnine

Can you provide a serial number by Private Message? I work on these 6068's daily.

Is this High Pressure Common Rail?

ETA: I just read your second post saying it's not an epa unit.

Last edited:

Philratcliffe

Can you provide a serial number by Private Message? I work on these 6068's daily.

Is this High Pressure Common Rail?

ETA: I just read your second post saying it's not an epa unit.
the serial number is
PE6068H680504. Model 6068HF150. It’s mechanical injection with a stanadyne pump.

do you work for a John Deere dealer? I’m looking for a place to buy parts. The two new 125kw gensets we just received today are non epa 6068 powered unit. I will get the serial numbers for those engines in the am. Thanks in advance for any help

strycnine

the serial number is
PE6068H680504. Model 6068HF150. It’s mechanical injection with a stanadyne pump.

do you work for a John Deere dealer? I’m looking for a place to buy parts. The two new 125kw gensets we just received today are non epa 6068 powered unit. I will get the serial numbers for those engines in the am. Thanks in advance for any help
I don't not work for a dealer but I do maintain a fleet of tender boats with these engines. I buy parts from our local John Deere dealer.

I have the John Deere Service Advisor diagnostic program if anyone needs any info.

Poccur

This is odd. I fire up my 150kw generator power by a Deere 6068. It runs fine for four or five hours then starts to labor to pull the load and smokes a lot. I’m only pulley about 50 of its rated capacity. It started doing this about a week ago. Checked the cam and valve and injection pump timing and everything is right on the money. We had a radiator fan self destruct and throw a pair of blades into the radiator so just had a new core made in Colombia. The engine isn’t getting hot every thing seems good but in a few hours it will start running poorly. Any idea what I might be overlooking. Thanks in advance for any help
Does if have an auxilary fuel attachment? If so, switch to aux, run it from those pipes with known good fuel... problem remains then problem is further toward the engine...if problem goes away then it is on the fuel lines and pickup from tank...

Had one similar way back in time, as i recall it was the priming bulb, the bulb was faulty or the fuel line from the bulb back to the tank was too narrow ...either way it would run fine then gradually the bulb would be getting sucked in till it finally sucked itself flat, engine labors, smokes loses power...user shuts down, pressure drops and bulb popped out back round....engine starts up fine and runs till the process happens again..

Philratcliffe

I don't not work for a dealer but I do maintain a fleet of tender boats with these engines. I buy parts from our local John Deere dealer.

I have the John Deere Service Advisor diagnostic program if anyone needs any info.
I just received a manual for the engine. Do you think it’s possible the turbo isn’t making enough boost? The generator only has 3k hours on it. I am installing boost gauges on all three of my generators hopefully day after tomorrow. Buying them tomorrow. I am connecting my two new 125kw units in the am. They don't Have intercoolers. The 150kw unit we are having problems with does have an intercoooler. We want to pull the intercooler and rad and take the intercooler apart and make sure there is no restriction. We just had a radiator core replaced a short time before the problem started.

Do you think it could be wet stacking? We are running less then a 50% load about 14-15 hours aday when our huge rowpu isn’t running. We are installing 48 mini fridges mañana which will help load the generators to keep them from wet stacking as we have and other 14 rooms getting 12,000 btu mini splits in the next week or so. Thanks in advance for any advise.

how does the diagnostic program work. Do you install it on a pc? Thanks

strycnine

I just received a manual for the engine. Do you think it’s possible the turbo isn’t making enough boost? The generator only has 3k hours on it. I am installing boost gauges on all three of my generators hopefully day after tomorrow. Buying them tomorrow. I am connecting my two new 125kw units in the am. They don't Have intercoolers. The 150kw unit we are having problems with does have an intercoooler. We want to pull the intercooler and rad and take the intercooler apart and make sure there is no restriction. We just had a radiator core replaced a short time before the problem started.

Do you think it could be wet stacking? We are running less then a 50% load about 14-15 hours aday when our huge rowpu isn’t running. We are installing 48 mini fridges mañana which will help load the generators to keep them from wet stacking as we have and other 14 rooms getting 12,000 btu mini splits in the next week or so. Thanks in advance for any advise.

how does the diagnostic program work. Do you install it on a pc? Thanks
It's possible you are having a turbo issue. Have you pulled the filter off and turned the compressor wheel after it acts up? It should turn very easy and not have any resistance.

I don't think a wetstack condition would cause the issue you are having. Is it slobbering oil out the exhaust?

You have to buy a subscription from John Deere to get the software. If all your generators are non epa I don't think it will be much benefit to you. Everything we have here is Tier 4 and is controlled by an ECM.

Philratcliffe

It's possible you are having a turbo issue. Have you pulled the filter off and turned the compressor wheel after it acts up? It should turn very easy and not have any resistance.

I don't think a wetstack condition would cause the issue you are having. Is it slobbering oil out the exhaust?

You have to buy a subscription from John Deere to get the software. If all your generators are non epa I don't think it will be much benefit to you. Everything we have here is Tier 4 and is controlled by an ECM.
i will pull the filter and see if there is any resistance to spinning the turbo.

No wet oily mess in the exhaust system Just smoke and down on power.

die to being on an island and no dealers in Colombiastock any parts to speak of I went with mechanical injection low tech works here and we havegood diesel with lead and sulphur etc still in it so the injection pumps and injectors last for ever.

are you pretty happy with the John Deere dealer where you buy your parts ? Can you give me there number. Want a relatable parts source and want to have commonly needed spare parts on hand. What stuff would you recommend I keep in hand parts wise water pumps fan belts. Air oil fuel filters. Alternator.Injectors. What else would you suggest? Thanks so much for the help

strycnine

i will pull the filter and see if there is any resistance to spinning the turbo.

No wet oily mess in the exhaust system Just smoke and down on power.

die to being on an island and no dealers in Colombiastock any parts to speak of I went with mechanical injection low tech works here and we havegood diesel with lead and sulphur etc still in it so the injection pumps and injectors last for ever.

are you pretty happy with the John Deere dealer where you buy your parts ? Can you give me there number. Want a relatable parts source and want to have commonly needed spare parts on hand. What stuff would you recommend I keep in hand parts wise water pumps fan belts. Air oil fuel filters. Alternator.Injectors. What else would you suggest? Thanks so much for the help
I use Flint Construction and Forestry here in Savannah, GA. The parts manager's name is David and he's pretty helpful. (912) 964-7370

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks