• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60A Alternator Differences HMMWV/ Deuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, was working on my son's M49A2C. It was not charging when he bought it. Got another alt from Ferro a while back. Just swapped them out and realized that the newer alt (off HMMWV) doesn't have the exciter wire (Circuit 568 ) on it. Both alternators have the same NSN. We hooked it up anyways hoping perhaps it was self exciting but alas, not producing voltage. There is also an extra unused stud under the cover on both alts. The one that came off the deuce had nothing attached to it. Any thoughts here? I'm sure we could solder another wire in place but was hoping someone had some experience with this. Meanwhile, I'll resume searching for my ext hard drive that has all my TMs on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure the unused stud is for the excite wire. <-EDIT WRONG INFO <- The mil alternators were never self exciting.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From TM 9-2320-280-20-3 I found this. That extra stud looks like an A/C tap. I don't dare attach the field wire there. I'm still seeking the Prestolite TM. I think I'm going to move this to the electrical section with hopes of getting someone familiar with the HMMWV to see that they say.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From TM 9-2320-280-20-3 I found this. That extra stud looks like an A/C tap. I don't dare attach the field wire there. I'm still seeking the Prestolite TM. I think I'm going to move this to the electrical section with hopes of getting someone familiar with the HMMWV to see that they say.
Oh my you are right sorry about that. The exite wire should be soldered in the same spot as it is on the old alt in your picture.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks NDT, I think that's what we are going to do. It just makes sense but I can't help but wonder, how did it work on the HMMWV?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, the excite wire was on there when I pulled it. It must have gotten pulled off somewhere while I was moving, and I just never noticed.

Sorry about that! 🥺

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks