• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

60KW genset phase quandry

kadetklapp

Long time no see! My police department just got gifted a 60kW genset (we applied for a 15, got a 60....go figure). However we believe it may be a white elephant as the town utility guy says since it's three-phase it's worthless for backup power for our police station, or in fact any facility relying on single-phase power. The unit states 120v/208v three phase or 240v/418 three phase. We are pretty bummed out as this unit has only 13 hours on it and touch screen interface, etc. Can this be modified for use on residential power? Lots of private sellers are pushing these to the prepping community stating they do single or three phase.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not going to be cheap, but there should be a 3ph to 1ph inverter available for just such a situation... not feasible for homeowners to deal with the price tag though.

Triple Jim

If you check, you may find that most or all of your 240 volt equipment will be perfectly happy with 208, so you can just run the station on two of the three phases and get 120 and 208. How big is the overall load, and is it really anywhere near 60 kW?

Crawdaddy

Wouldn't the 15KW variant of the generator been 3-phase only too? I thought 10KW was where the military drew the line between 1/3-phase and 3-phase only.

kadetklapp

Believe it's a MEP 806-B? The Optima batteries in it are fried and so we are unable to power it up and the tags are hard to read.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:beer:

Does the control panel look like this?

Screenshot_14.jpg

806A

Screenshot_15.png

806B

Screenshot_16.jpg

006A

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He could have a 3 phase generator from WWII and he would have the same problem. A qualified electrician will be able to spec an appropriate transformer to go to 208Y.

Guyfang

Staff member
Wouldn't the 15KW variant of the generator been 3-phase only too? I thought 10KW was where the military drew the line between 1/3-phase and 3-phase only.
Should you consider getting a MEP-004A, (15 KW) or MEP-005A, (30 KW) you can convert it for your needs. I am fairly sure the MEP-006A will also be convertible.

But as you have the set, (and it would be nice to know what modal it is. The data plate is on the right side front of the set) you can do as Triple Jim says, simply use two of the phases. Unless you foresee running for months on the gen set, its simply not going to hurt running it with an unbalanced load.

What means "fried" for your Optima battery. If you hook them up to a battery charger meant to charge that type of battery, normal you can bring them back. Its been my experience, that as long as you have more then 3-4 volts on the battery, they can be saved. Lead acid batteries are trash if you have less then 10 volts.

stugpanzer

Should you consider getting a MEP-004A, (15 KW) or MEP-005A, (30 KW) you can convert it for your needs. I am fairly sure the MEP-006A will also be convertible.

But as you have the set, (and it would be nice to know what modal it is. The data plate is on the right side front of the set) you can do as Triple Jim says, simply use two of the phases. Unless you foresee running for months on the gen set, its simply not going to hurt running it with an unbalanced load.

What means "fried" for your Optima battery. If you hook them up to a battery charger meant to charge that type of battery, normal you can bring them back. Its been my experience, that as long as you have more then 3-4 volts on the battery, they can be saved. Lead acid batteries are trash if you have less then 10 volts.
Agree with Guy! When I got my 803 home, someone in the forums gave me the advice to get a charger that is compatible with AGM batteries. I bought a Black & Decker BM3B charger and each battery took about 24 hours to charge. I disconnected each battery when I charged them and haven't had any issues. The 803 keeps them charged now when I exercise her!

stugpanzer

Long time no see! My police department just got gifted a 60kW genset (we applied for a 15, got a 60....go figure). However we believe it may be a white elephant as the town utility guy says since it's three-phase it's worthless for backup power for our police station, or in fact any facility relying on single-phase power. The unit states 120v/208v three phase or 240v/418 three phase. We are pretty bummed out as this unit has only 13 hours on it and touch screen interface, etc. Can this be modified for use on residential power? Lots of private sellers are pushing these to the prepping community stating they do single or three phase.
Someone else will correct me if I am wrong but isn't it just motors that might have an issue with the 208volt? That and any electric heat element like an electric stove or heater....will take longer to heat?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone else will correct me if I am wrong but isn't it just motors that might have an issue with the 208volt? That and any electric heat element like an electric stove or heater....will take longer to heat?
Generally you are correct.

Many motors will work with the lower 208 voltage though.

Its the frequency of the power that is the problem. A 60 hz motor will not be compatible with 400hz power, or vice versa.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most motors are ready for 208 or 220. Since in industrialized areas only have three phase most things will run on either. Personally my 803a will be rigged three phase as I can get more and out of it. 2 legs will go to the house for 120/208, already verified my 220 appliances are rated to 208. And the third 120 leg will go to my garage.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Some newbies need to read a little before commenting.

60KW MEP with a touch screen. OK, that rules out the older MEPS.

A MEP-806B is the style of generator you have.

Yes, it is 3-phase.

Most current motors have a label on them which will give you some specs as 208v-230v needed to operate.

A lot of large, industrial type businesses use 3-phase. That is a problem when you have a police department which does not have huge power needs. The best thing would to keep the unit dry and covered, charge the batteries properly, and after the specific amount of time, sell it to the public. You can not sell it right away. They say there is a set amount of time for ownership before you can move it on. A lot of course would really depend upon a power usage audit of your departments needs. Being that its a police department, I would assume that it should have a adequate backup power would be a civil disaster priority. A commercial unit installed with proper ATS (automatic transfer switch) with a proper power rating would be the best way for the department to go.

good luck

Isaac-1

He could have a 3 phase generator from WWII and he would have the same problem. A qualified electrician will be able to spec an appropriate transformer to go to 208Y.
Sure this is true, but is it really a 3 phase generator, or is it perhaps a 12 lead that the military only offered with 3 phase connection board options, though could easily be converted to single phase by perhaps cutting a couple of connection bars and adding a couple of jumper wires.

Such as is shown in this video for the MEP-004 and MEP-005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmF4Awr3uc4

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would someone be kind enough to help me understand the difference between single & triple phase and their applications!? Seeing that I have 002 & 803!
As always thanks!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks