• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

644 miles on a towbar!

BobM

Yep, from Ft Mead to Indiana on a towbar! I'm glad I did because my driveshaft has the obligatory forklift divots in it! The "little" mountains were interesting, but my Silverado handled them pretty well. If the driver had of been better, the trip would have been a breeze. :lol:
Here are a couple of pics from Mead to home.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a long distance for a tow bar, did you take the Interstate/Turnpike and what speed were you able to tow at?
I think that some enterprising GL employees could make a fortune selling reconditioned or new driveshafts for CUCVs. What a racket that could be, bend them, then sell the customer a new one!

tlm47201

Bob, sounds like the tow bar deal worked foryou. A bit less expensive than the mil tow bar, and more universal. Glad the trip went well. Get that truck running, and I'll bring my M1009 over and buy ya a cup of java.

BobM

aboonski said:
Where'd you buy the towbar? That's exactly what I need for my M1008!
I bought a standard Reese towbar from AutoZ and then bought two 2"X 6" recievers from TSC (Harbour F has them cheaper but longer). Then I used the info from tlm47201 to make the adapters to fit on the lifting lugs. The thread where I found all this is at
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/24660-civy-tow-bars-2.html#post255247
The only peoblem I had was that the left hole in the lifting lug was just a smidgeon off and I could have filed my hole out a little or I just threaded a 1" bolt thru the hole, which I did. Tlm mentions this and I had a file with me, but was running out of time before the GL people went to lunch.
I can't remember if I included this photo so...

Attachments

Last edited:

aboonski

Thank you so much for the info! Half of the work is already done with the CUCV having the lifting lugs in place so modifying a good towbar is all that's left to do. Hope you enjoy your M1008 as much as I enjoy mine!

BobM

319 said:
That's a long distance for a tow bar, did you take the Interstate/Turnpike and what speed were you able to tow at?
I think that some enterprising GL employees could make a fortune selling reconditioned or new driveshafts for CUCVs. What a racket that could be, bend them, then sell the customer a new one!
I agree. I'm already looking for a driveshaft. :cry:
We took interstate all the way. I towed at about 60 mph to start with, but got up to 65 or so after I lost my newbie jitters! :wink:
Of course in the mountain passes I slowed a little to take it easy on my Silverado. I COULD have gone faster, but I hate to hear a motor strain more than is needed. The real limit IMHO is the braking. It takes longer to stop, of course, but some of the other idiots on the highway won't let you! I had no real close calls, but I did feel my pedal pulsing like warped rotors a couple of times.
I drove the truck with the dinged driveshaft a couple of miles last night (Just HAD to!). Above 35 or so, the driveshaft vibrated pretty bad. I HATE to just let it sit! :wink:

Cigarjoe

I bought a standard Reese towbar from AutoZ and then bought two 2"X 6" recievers from TSC (Harbour F has them cheaper but longer). Then I used the info from tlm47201 to make the adapters to fit on the lifting lugs. The thread where I found all this is at
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25729&highlight=civy+towbars
The only peoblem I had was that the left hole in the lifting lug was just a smidgeon off and I could have filed my hole out a little or I just threaded a 1" bolt thru the hole, which I did. Tlm mentions this and I had a file with me, but was running out of time before the GL people went to lunch.
I can't remember if I included this photo so...
That link isn't working for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks