• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

65 Kaiser M35A2 project starts

Gunfreak25

That is great news because I was dreading you doing that to the top.
It would have been a tough job for sure!

Nice to hear that something was work than it might have been!
Indeed as this has rarely been the case thus far! The sliding window assembly is also in excellent shape, seals and all. Go figure!

Gunfreak25

Seems I always speak to soon, but this appears to be the worst of the top rot. And my old neighbor gave me a mini dune buggy that I couldn’t say no to. So some deuce distraction headed this way.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

PEEK A BOO!! Looks like the catacombs beneath Paris. Cut a hole in the rocker to access broken fender bolts and get a peek inside. Super crusty….coming soon to a theater near you…

The roof was awful under all that flaky paint. Lots of rust and pits. Days with a wire wheel to get bare metal and another several hours into sheet metal and patch work. Grinding on a hard top for 3 days is a good way to make friends with neighbors. Primer is on, insulation is up, seam sealer and submarine sealer spray over any spot welded joints and she’s almost ready to wear her sombrero again.

Also spin on base and 2 micron kitty cat filter to replace those pesky 30s era canisters. That’ll finish making every filter on the truck all spin ons.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Made a quickie bracket with some scrap, some fittings and we have a 2 micron kitty cat final filter. At first I ran it without any sort of over pressure valve and I could tell it was a lot peppier. I had a spare overflow valve off a junk hydraulic head, knowing these are rated to open at 60PSI i plumbed it in to the return like the factory setup. Runs great and it’s probably the cleanest fuel that the pump has ever had in its life.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

A great project being done correctly..nice pictures and post,
Well done you.
well thank you but I just realized I put my hard top back on upside down. Of course this is after all the caulking dried. One step forward and two back! Here’s a quickie photo shoot from cutting 2 acres of grass the other day at least

Attachments

Gunfreak25

What a fun day Wednesday, met up with our member David Wymore here for a day of pickin parts and playin in the dirt. He looked like he was having too much fun so I caught him in the act. Thanks for the parts, ILL BE BACK.

Got us a 12 leaf spring so the deuce has a matching set. No mas mean lean to other drivers side, of course it'll come apart for paint....

Newish battery compartment to fix my crusty bent one

Got passed by a house, deuce life

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Spring pack detailed and back together. Amazing how much rust builds between leaves. Heater box shortened, blasted and painted. It'll go under the dash on drivers side. Much better than right on the side of the engine where you loose all your working room. Also in are some blind spot mirrors and reverse lights to be installed.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the pumpkin and new leaf pack in. Having a clown watch over you working helps everything go smoothly

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Spring pack detailed and back together. Amazing how much rust builds between leaves. Heater box shortened, blasted and painted. It'll go under the dash on drivers side. Much better than right on the side of the engine where you loose all your working room. Also in are some blind spot mirrors and reverse lights to be installed.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the pumpkin and new leaf pack in. Having a clown watch over you working helps everything go smoothly
So it would appear that "your clown" has an opinion... :)

Good looking work is happening on that truck for sure!
Spring Pack looks really nice. Should be quieter too.

Gunfreak25

Little over 8 hours today. Chunk has been replaced. Replaced spring pack, oh and those mirrors got put on the other day. I'm beat

In a couple weeks I'll get the axle shafts and drive shaft back in, then I go play

Sadly even though the new leaf pack is a 12 leaf pack and the old one was 10, it still sits flatter than the drivers side so it still has a passenger side lean. I'll just live with it for awhile.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still leans...... dang it. You make it look easy and everything comes apart better the next time so, I look forward to watching you do it again in a while.

As for the munchkins, this dude gave me the tools to talk to the child and understand the child. https://www.gordontraining.com/parent-programs/parent-effectiveness-training-p-e-t/

I was in college when I was told about being a papa. I was so scared I read 2 years of 'early childhood development'. Then I found a small book called PET. Parent Effectiveness Training. Just the first couple of chapters gave me a ton of tools...... It taught me to constantly give the child things to do that matched his age. I didn't need to tell him 'not to do that' or don't touch because he knew exactly what he was safe doing and touching. I rarely said "no" because I was too busy passing him the next toy, book, tool, castle, game or whatever. They say the only time to raise your voice is when they are really in trouble and man that works. The first time he headed towards a curb with a car coming ....and me screwing up by not being within grab reached....I yelled. He lost it man...... He spun around so fast, just broke down in fear and still talks about the first time he heard my loud voice.

The book helped me deal with staff too. Just having some tools to encourage the kids to make their own mistakes and just be there as a "Dad" to help fix the mess they get in. Preventing it is one job and helping them get through it is another one. Raising kids comes with a technical manual.

Gunfreak25

Well I'm on the hunt for a hydraulic head. This morning she decided to seize up around the block, head is pretty much toast. I've been running a waste motor oil fuel filtered to 2 microns. I think this morning being 39 degrees the oil was just too thick to pump through the fuel lines and it starved the head. Just my theory anyway, it was a pretty tired head and it could have simply been it's time to go. So go with used or a chinesium one?

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Thanks for David Wymore again for letting me scrounge an injection pump off one of his parts trucks.

I ended up taking it apart to find a damaged camshaft and boost pump drive shaft sheared off. But the hydraulic head looked good.

So I disassembled my trucks pump, all new gaskets, swapped camshaft piston from David's pump in since mine had a score from hitting the plunger button. I also found my advance housing had a badly kinked spring, I also reset the governor spring end cap clearances to spec.

Roared back to life just as the batteries pooped out. A little idle adjustment and 20 mile test drive. It has no more surging, goofy rpm fluctuations. It runs better than it probably has in years.

Next up, god willing....clean up axle shafts and install to finally get some wheeling done.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

She's been doing great with used hydraulic head. Got a little bed crane installed to make it more usable, upgraded wobble seals and billet retainers for front axle from redbarncustoms. I also took the leap and have 7 super singles coming tomorrow from CSM Army Tires in Alabama, 2017 dated and 7 brand new tubes for mounting on stock wheels. These are 12.00r20s off of Strykers. She's also been earning her keep doing more clean ups.

And God willing, before summer hits I'll have it converted to a winch truck.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
She's been doing great with used hydraulic head. Got a little bed crane installed to make it more usable, upgraded wobble seals and billet retainers for front axle from redbarncustoms. I also took the leap and have 7 super singles coming tomorrow from CSM Army Tires in Alabama, 2017 dated and 7 brand new tubes for mounting on stock wheels. These are 12.00r20s off of Strykers. She's also been earning her keep doing more clean ups.

And God willing, before summer hits I'll have it converted to a winch truck.
Lookin good!
Glad to see that you got your baby some new shoes :cool:

Gunfreak25

Just a little play with the new shoes and front spool. It's a point and shoot affair now. It goes everywhere through every soft sinking wash I could find. Next major mod, is power steering. I understand Tom will only have 18 more for life so I gotta get a kit. Mounting the tires pushed me to my absolute limit physically, and took nearly a week since I stripped the wheels, primed and had to order new flaps to accompany the new tubes. I didn't want to pay someone to do it, because I don't trust anyone here to do them right.

Summer is a coming and I start CDL school next week so I'm happy with everything that's been done in almost the 1 year of having it. I will flip the hubs when my next hub service is due.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks