• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6CTA 8.3 boost gauge feed port

PsycoBob

I'm trying to add a boost gauge to my dad's 5-ton, but there is a dearth of information about where to tap into.

There's 3 ports on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

Front one looks like coolant temp.

Middle looks to be usable, as it feeds the IP's booost/smoke control.

Rear port is the same style as the front coolant port, so I'm not sure...

Searches and reading mod threads has resulted in a lot of pictures of dash panels, but no engine pics or comments about where to tap in. Digging through the rest if the interwebs has been equally fruitless.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only place there is coolant on the fuel pump side is at the bottom near center. IIRC, on he mechanical head there are 2 1/8 pipe and straight o-ring plugs. Any will work, for the o-ring plug, you will need to drill/tap

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's where I tapped into mine. I drilled a 1/8" NPT hole into the plug while it was out on the workbench, and then reinstalled into the engine. It was easier than making a mount for the gage!Capture.JPG

PsycoBob

If those are straight o-ring plugs, they may be SAE hydraulic spec. I'll measure the rear one when I have it out.

After poring through the p2p diagrams, I still have no idea what the electrical plug in the front port is for. Time to experiment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks