• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6Tl Battery advice please

Oilleaker1

I've read all the posts I can find on 6TL Deuce batteries. My Workhorse Interstate Batteries are now dying on me. They are 3 years old and have always been hooked up to the desulfanator/solar unit that was on my '71 M35A2 when I bought it. I guess I did OK reading that most only get 2 years max. Some say go to O'Reillys, or John Deere to get better batteries. I found it hard to believe that those big heavy lead pots won't make it longer. I checked for a draine on the batteries with my test light connected between ground and the disconnected ground cable and found no indication. What direction should I go to buy another set. I figured I was good for 10 years-----:drool: wrong!!!!! What I found cool about my old pal "Ellsworth" he will barely spin through like an old 6 volt on a Willys, but gradually pick up cranking speed and then catch and run. Always has been a great truck. A keeper. Thanks for any experienced advice, John

Clay James

It seems deuces must be hard on batteries. Mine are about that old and seem like they are getting weak. I have one from 2006 in my '69 Camaro and it's still going strong! Some go to Walmart to get their batteries and exchange them before the warranty is up.

Oilleaker1

I have to correct myself: Not Workhorse by Interstate, but "Workaholic". You become a Alcoholic when thinking about the money you spent on your Workaholics:beer:. Also, in thinking about just buying a set of smaller 12 volt batteries that fit other toys in the garage too, do not forget that the dogbone interconnector is short. You need batteries with posts oriented to the side, not in the middle. Any types that work just as good small and last like Camero batteries? :-D Looks like the Optima brand would work with a box spacer built to hold them. John

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to wallyworld and get the 3 year warranted batteries. I've had one in every daily driver and they die just short of the warranty expiration so the replacement is free. Going on 9 years since paying for a new battery.

welldigger

Go to wallyworld and get the 3 year warranted batteries. I've had one in every daily driver and they die just short of the warranty expiration so the replacement is free. Going on 9 years since paying for a new battery.
The super start extreme batteries from O'reily's are the same way. They either last forever or never make the warranty. Either way you get your moneys worth.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee, I guess my Corolla is really good with the Wally World stuff - I just put the fourth battery in it two months ago. Bought that car new in Apr 1993, it had just over 350,000 miles on it as of this morning. The 78 SR5 truck beat that though, over 9 years on a Diehard - three batteries the entire 15 years I owned it. I agree 6TL's are a crap shoot, a few are great, but most don't last.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with two Commercial batteries from Napa. 950 CCAs vs 725 in the 6TLs. Also the short dog bone still fit.

Also, a very easy solution to holding down non-stock batteries is with a ratchet strap. I just put it in at an angle with one hook inside the square tubing in the box at either end. Mine was a metal battery box

I don't have the ratchet strap installed in this picture. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375059164.767102.jpg

tcody

Odyssey PC2250. Expensive as all get out but lasts for a long long time. I put these in everything I can't afford to have break down. Some specs:

• PHCA: 2,250A at 80°F (27°C); for 5 seconds
  • CCA: 1,225A at 0°F (-18°C)
  • CA/MCA: 1,550A at 32° (0°C)
  • HCA: 1,730 at 80°F (27°C)
  • Reserve capacity: 240 minutes on 25amps
  • Short circuit current: 5,000A
  • Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
  • Design life: 12 years
  • Typical service life: 6 to 8 years

Attachments

Coal Cracker

I just had the same dilemma, I despise Interstate, the cheapest 6TL I was able to get was $136 right from Deka in Lyon Station Pa. I went with group 31 Exide batts from tractor supply @ $99.00 Ea with a 3 year warranty. I have a plastic battery box and with a few minor mods these will fit perfectly. I have pics and plan to do a writeup on it. My truck fires right off with no effort.

o1951

OEM batteries in my civy vehicles generally last life of ownership or at least 10 years. The only time they lasted less than 10 years is when the top post got some hidden corrosion and battery got less than a full charge for an extended time. Had to replace battery in my truck a few years ago. At that time, Consumer reports high rated Costco batteries. I got the biggest one that would fit my Ford truck. cost around $75. Unless you are welding with them, or only using 2 batteries instead of 4, see no reason why they should not last for many years. Deuce and old trucks should not have a current draw when not running, unlike newer vehicles with computer systems that require constant power - even when vehicle is not running. Be careful with those chargers. Overcharging a battery is just as bad as undercharging, and greatly shortens life.

sandcobra164

I've got Hawkers in mine. Same size as the 6TL's so no battery box mods needed. One is an 03' and the other is an 04'. I've killed them down to 0.3 volts 4 or 5 times by leaving stuff on. They were so low that I'd have to trick my battery charger by wiring in a 9V battery to make it think that it was connected to even attempt to charge them. Each time it worked, each time they took a full charge and they are still in the truck to this day.

Oilleaker1

Thanks for all the replies! I always like to get a experienced opinion because it saves on making more mistakes. I'm going with my original thought of more 12 volt batteries that I can shift and use in other toys. Cost effective, more use to keep them charged, and clean posts or connections. I lost one of my pair in my M37's ( I have two trucks) and they don't push around the shop when you need to move them. The optima brand battery has held up well over the years and is a sealed unit which makes for cleaner cables and maintenance. They cost very close to 6TL's and fit just about all my stuff. Once you get the boxes, hold downs and cables set up for them they swap fast and clean. John

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are that your 6TL batteries have been sitting around with a less than full charge before you (any post military body) got them. Lead acids must be kept at full charge at all times or they will sulfate and won't ever again put out full AH capacity.
The personal car batteries will last long because they are constantly recharged every time the car is driven.

The proper method to test the batteries is by measuring the specific gravity as shown in countless PS magazine articles and TMs like the TM 9-6140-200-14. Measuring open circuit voltage alone, tells you very little.

If the vehicle isn't started daily, hook up a battery maintainer.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And those battery testers are available used in the $25-$40 range - search for a "7181 Duo-Check", even the instruction booklet is found if you can search.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks