• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6TLs versus big box mart replacements

dirtyfingernails

Okay guys. My batts are nearly gone. If I replace my 6TLs with some from the big box mart will they last as long? Or will they have a shortened life? Just need to know if I need to invest in $400 6TLs (pair). Also, if big box mart brand replacements are okay, what specifications are required? CCA, maintenance free etc.
thanks,
Steve

mhassett

Steve;
I gave up on the 6TL, and just buy the biggest battery around 950 CCA at the Auto Part Store. Tey seem to work fine, with no problems. They are usually smaller than the 6TL, and not as heavy.
Mike

rockman

Steve, I also purchased a pair of heavy duty batteries from Mart Of Wal and with an solargarzier, they have lasted 3 years.

Bill

WOR

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What he said.

I am using red top Ultamas in my M52 and Advance El Cheapos in my deuce.
They crank fine and I have had no issues.
You can get adaptors for the Ultamas so they will be secure in the battery boxes.
I think OD Iron has them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Not sound cheaper than I really am........ I take plain Jane used batteries out of wrecked vehicles before I scrap them...
We are running most of our MVs on these "recycled" batteries. Never had an issue yet.... and it's a whole lot cheaper with so many pieces.
Besides... we can't afford the new orginal type stuff so we use field expedients whenever possible

dirtyfingernails

Guys, thanks. That's just what I wanted to hear. Bill, I like the Mart of Wal reference. Cliff, I was just going to fab something up to accept smaller batts. I will be battery shopping at the big box mart this weekend! Oh boy!

nattieleather

The guard unit that my unit shares the armory with got a bunch of new (rebuilt) generators. They were suppose to use to 6TL in them, but I looked and from the rebuilder have two optimas. And to hold them down they had a length of that flat stock with the holes in them strapping them down to the tie downs. Even the army is getting away from them....:)

Michael

In FL you could probably get away with two of the cheapest wal mart batteries and you would still have a better warranty than the 6TLs. I put two of the smaller boat batteries in my last truck because they were on sale. I did spend several hours fabbing up an adapter to hold them in.

I would consider the red tops with the adapters to be the best solution unless you are going for a restored look. Unless you can get a deal on blems, I just don't think 6TL are worth the money and they have a very short warranty.

I would like to add that the red tops sound like the best solution, I have never spent that kind of money. I have used anything from two of whatever I could find around the place to the two mid priced boat batteries. I have found that two of anything that will hold a charge will start a deuce in the south.

Blythewoodjoe

I have been using two real small and real cheap "car" batteries, blims at that, to run the 5 ton trucks as well as the deuces. I had 3 of these batteries in my bobbed truck for the dual voltage set up. I started using them because I wanted to put 3 in the battery box. A 1 by 4 between each to keep them from rubbing (go ahead and laugh). At $30 each I don't care if I only get a year or two out of them.

As for those Optima batteries, I bought a bus from the Fort that had two in it. No engine in the bus so who knows how long they had been sitting. I charged one, put it in my service truck and it works great. The date on it is 1998 I think. Me like it.

Kwai

New 6tl's are about $175. Optima redtops are $179 at local parts store. Anybody know how the red top compares to the 6tl (or 6tmf) battery in CCA and reserve capacity.

FSBruva

I have two cheapos from the big place.... survived two very cold Michigan winters as my daily driver - no problems. I got the kind that has both posts atop and bolts in the side. I have bad experience with the posts eroding inside the clamps - and since you need to bolt your leads ANYWAYS.... I used a generic hold down kit from Advanced Auto parts, and just drilled a few holes for the j-hooks to grab. I also put in a cutout switch while I was at it. I'll get pics of my setup tomorrow if I can.

I think the only advantage of those pricey batteries is they don't care how they are oriented, and off-roading is not going to kill them. But since I spent 30 bucks 2.5 years ago, I don't really care if they get messed up by the occasional twist, turn or roll.

Matt

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get Interstate 6TLs for $90 apiece...brand new. I know a guy who owns a local garage and he sells them to me for his cost. Otherwise, I'd be spending $160 or so per battery. For $90 each brand new, I stick with the 6TLs.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter what the cost, it still adds up. I just got eight batteries for $720 for the two M814s. This order was about a month after I got six from him for $540 (four for the HEMTT and two for an M35A2). You don't need 6TLs, though. I've used Type 31s and car batteries with no problems. I like to stick to the 6TLs for authenticity, but I would definitely consider other batteries if I was not getting mine for $90 each.

kipman

My thought but 6tl suck, short life the only good part is they fit the battery box. I am using used big truck batteries with the stainless posts, no clamps bolt right to the post. I could not be happier.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a lot of guys don't like the 6TLs, but I am very satisfied with their performance and life span. I have never had a 6TL last fewer than three years and even those batteries were seconds (past their shelf life...i.e, expired) and were in a truck that I did not start often (the baby was born and I had little time for the trucks for months). Remember, unless you are starting and running your truck regularly, any battery will suffer. Batteries don't like to sit for extended periods of times. Batteries also don't like to have heavy draws placed on them (like when you start a big motor), run for a few minutes and then shut down; they need time to recharge. A friend of mine started his M1028 probably five times just to move the truck without letting it run for a while and, on the 6th try, the batteries were dead. I've probably bought and used close to 80 6TLs over the years and I have never been disappointed.

Scrounger

Just my 2 cents worth on this topic. There are only three major manufacturers of batteries in the U.S., Johnson Controls, Exide and one other I can’t remember at this time. They make most of the batteries and just re-brand them for most everyone else.
There are only two companies that make lead acid 6TL batteries that are Mil-Spec, Exide and Deka (East Penn Manufacturing Company, Inc.)The Mil-Spec batteries have heavier plates, stronger cases and deeper sumps so they don’t sulphate out as fast as a non Mil-Spec. battery.
Personally I prefer the Deka battery over the Exide battery because it has 750 CCA at 0o and 230 minutes reserve compared to 600 CCA and 200 minutes reserve.
There are pluses and minuses with using 6TLs compared to say a group 31 battery.
The 6TLs, if taken care of will last 8-10 years. I just replaced some that were made in April of 1999. They fit the battery box without modification and the cables with fit.
However they do cost more, I just picked up twelve in Baltimore the other week and they cost $135.00 each. These are first run new production batteries.
Other batteries may be cheaper, group 31s are around $65-$80 in this area, however they with probably only last 4-5 years. They will also require some “rigging” to hold them in the battery box. They will probably be easier to find.
For my money I think the 6TLs are worth the effort since I don’t like handling those things any more that I have too.
There may be a Deka dealer in your area. The Napa dealers in this area also carry 6TLs and maybe they can get them for you.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6TL's properly maintained will last 6-8 years. Dont blame the battery because you dont run the truck enough to keep it up....... Solargizers help TONS also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks