• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 axle question

coachgeo

1. For TM search purposes- what is the unit, Gear box?? Relocation Box?? called on the Intermediate rear 6x6 axles that allows input of drive shaft to be higher above pumpkin and of course allows for a secondary drive shaft to similar box on the rear most axle. Does the one on the rear axle have the same name?

2. Anyone happen to know part number for these two items (or are they the same minus one yoke?) No big deal if not. Will happily look them up once know what name to search for

3. is the offset of the differential on these axles the same as 1078 axles? Would think not, but that's an assumption...... one should never assume right.

Mucho thanx in advance.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Both rear axles are the same ratio the offset input is just that.
thank you. If you are referring to axle Ring and Pinion ratio that makes perfect sense.

Question is the Differential sitting in same location left to right of the ends of the axles when compared to 1078 axles. Photo's show the offset input unit box/thingy moves the input both up and to one side. Just wondering if the 1083 axles has it's differential off set to one side as well to compensate for the side offset of the .. what ever it is called.. Off Set Differential Box? If they are not would not the driveshaft from Tcase output to this unit in question no longer be parallel to the chassis? Not saying that is a bad thing or good thing if not parallel. Just curious.

coachgeo

Part numbers are in the parts TM ( TM ending in -P ).
thank you. and when searching thru the TM or any other document it is much more efficient to know the name of the item your searching for. If I find it before someone post up will happily report the name here for any future readers with the same curiosity.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you. and when searching thru the TM or any other document it is much more efficient to know the name of the item your searching for. If I find it before someone post up will happily report the name here for any future readers with the same curiosity.
Since your looking for axle information go to the axle section , find the parts diagram (numbers for each part) then go to the parts list for whatever part your looking at and it will give you the name , nsn , and part number.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem looking up the spring on the side of the injection pump of my Cummins 250, but I guarantee that after I found it I won't forget how or where it is in the manual.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So want axles are you looking at? It always helps us to know so we can help you

coachgeo

So want axles are you looking at? It always helps us to know so we can help you
Looking at how to potentially reduced rear drive line angle. My freshly installed "by a shop" rear driveline came off and destroyed my Tcase on my 1078. Really don't want that to happen again especially since more reading has pointed out that this is a semi-common issue the military never "fully" addressed.

Thus if one was to switch to a 6x6 rear or intermediate 1083 axle with the offset differential box then that would greatly reduce rear drive line angle. Someone posted here that the A1's were beginning to have one of the 6x6 axles installed instead of the axle used in the past. This would be a full address of the rear drive line angle issue if they are doing this. Novel approach..... guess it matters surplus of 6x6 axles vs cost of purchasing GDK Rzeppa CV jointed driveshafts. interestingly it was also mentioned that a tilt of the axle upward (an old school method of dealing with drive line angle issues) could benefit too and some pictures of 6x6 axles from an FMTV saw recently in photos had leaf spring perches angled, not flat. Not sure if this perch angle is a change or not.

For civilian 1078 owners... this is also a cost question... if they want to improve rear driveline angles.... does one have a Rzeppa CV jointed drive shaft made up for them???...... or switch to rear axle off an 6x6? Have posed questions on this to GKN but no response. Didn't expect one; but was hoping they might provide part #'s for which of their products they used in their proposed driveshaft design.

Last edited:

coachgeo

What's the goal?
sorry guess I did not make that clear enough. Goal is to reduce potential issues associated with the steep angle of the rear drive line by going with either a CV style drive line or; as being explored in this thread,..... going to a 1083 style rear axle with the offset differential box. As has been already established a CV jointed drive shaft handles driveline angles better than present set up, yet going with a 1083 axle reduces the steep slope of the driveline angle thusly less to no need for a complex drive shaft in the first place. Might still be wise to use a simpler CV drive shaft (double Cardion) but then again a typical U jointed drive shaft may be fine at the reduced angles. One extra advantage of going with the 1083 style axle is this also moves the rear drive shaft more out of harms way of logs, stumps, boulders etc.

Still got to compare cost though.

Last edited:

scottmandu

The 2008 and up LMTV's did exactly that. But you also add over 200 lbs to the rear axle weight. Another thing is the high speed gears for the intermediate axle on the 6X6 are significantly more expensive.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You threw a driveshaft because something was installed improperly, there was damage like a bent yoke, or just excessive play somewhere in that part of the driveline. This is a common issue in the LMTVs there are tacom warnings on this and very specific procedures in the tm to measure driveline play. The driveshaft angle by itself did not cause it. If you like the offset input axles I have new and used ones on hand.

coachgeo

... Another thing is the high speed gears for the intermediate axle on the 6X6 are significantly more expensive.
Ahhh.. good info. Was under impression these would already be high speed axles and only front would have to be changed if one wanted to go that route. So all the 6x6's are same ratio as the 1078?

coachgeo

You threw a driveshaft because something was installed improperly, there was damage like a bent yoke, or just excessive play somewhere in that part of the driveline. This is a common issue in the LMTVs there are tacom warnings on this and very specific procedures in the tm to measure driveline play. The driveshaft angle by itself did not cause it. If you like the offset input axles I have new and used ones on hand.
Agree that there was something amiss that caused the issue while at same time though is it not likely that the steep driveline angle exacerbates such issues compared to ones less steep? Could it be the 2008+ trucks going to a single 6x6 axle be for this very reason?

PS- seller agrees something was most likely amiss with the work done by the shop he had install the driveshaft, new third member and rear brakes.... tiss why he is covering cost of replacing T-Case. He does not HAVE too... but it is the right thing to do so Kudo's to him.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It is a well known issue with the trucks. Mil units have specific inspection requirements. I believe the spec allows for no more than .0015 inch of play in the driveshaft hinging inspection. I know at least one local mil unit has their own stricter requirements. The driveline angle does not help with it though. Check your fan clutch they come apart too and will throw the fan or half the clutch thru the radiator.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree that there was something amiss that caused the issue .... tiss why he is covering cost of replacing T-Case. He does not HAVE too... but it is the right thing to do so Kudo's to him.
Predicting this outcome was like predicting the sun coming up.

And yeah, kudos to the seller.

Very few modifications are a clear improvement. Most of tje "good" modifications are just a matter of selecting a different set of compromises than the engineers did originally (sacrificing longevity for performance, etc ). Often, a different set of compromises is a reasonable decision...

A couple of mods that are a clear win are the doghead relay in the cucv, the dual fuel mod to the nh250, and the spin on filter conversion to the deuces. These are a clear improvement all the way around..

Many, many, many more modifications are a loss all the way around. A lot of people see the need to pointlessly fiddle with their trucks and second guess the engineers who designed them... I won't start the long list that fall into this category.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going off what 98G said regarding modifications - this is a prime example of why you shouldn't buy someone else's nightmare. Yes, kudos to the seller for paying for the transfer but my recommendation is never buy something someone else screwed with and then decides to sell. It's one thing to do a modification yourself and know exactly what it is and what took place and a completely different story taking over someone else's partially completed project. GovPlanet is a crap shoot but generally anything broken is simply a replacement job not a re-engineering puzzle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks