• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 performance upgrade question

alphadeltaromeo

m-35tom said:
my deuce with power steering, greatly improved brakes and high overdrive will be at aberdeen. come drive it. it will throw you through the windshield it stops so fast.
tom
The problem...Tom, is that I don't wanna get thrown through the windshield...that'd mess up my trip to Aberdeen :roll:

chuck500cc

I can't believe someone has not adapted driveshaft disc brakes like some of the rock crawlers and monster trucks have. Seems like a good idea on paper.

Chuck XD Fan

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
pinion brakes are very bad for highway use, you cannot control which side locks up, and if one side does the other will want to turn the other way. real bad idea for service brakes. parking use only.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out first hand how bad pinion brakes are for road use, on a lawnmower of all things. Open differencial, hit the brakes at 20 mph(not your normal mower), and one side locked up, pulled really hard that way, then other side would lock up, and pull hard the other way. Happens fast, and can result in flipping. Welded the rear end gears, and no more problems.

Dennis

Jakob

Stretch44875 said:
Found out first hand how bad pinion brakes are for road use, on a lawnmower of all things. Open differencial, hit the brakes at 20 mph(not your normal mower), and one side locked up, pulled really hard that way, then other side would lock up, and pull hard the other way. Happens fast, and can result in flipping. Welded the rear end gears, and no more problems.

Dennis
That ONLY worked on spooled/welded rear ends. As stated above, pinion brakes are exclusively for rock crawlers or parking brakes, NOT for everyday driving.

Bear9127

Has anybody considered a "hyroboost" type system? If you really want to improve your stopping ability and safety, this type system can't be beat. Also, it will operate the original hydrolic part of the brake system.

Jake0147

Yes, they have discussed this, with a pretty successful installation. Try Hydroboost and/or Hydromax in the search engine, if you don't get anything that way, break them into two words. Good info with lots of pics is already here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks