• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 vs 4x4 10 ton?

hwcurtice

So I saw this listing on an ad service where they claim their 10 ton had a switch, on the dash, in the cab that would turn the truck from a 4x4 to a 6x6.

Now, I know that the rear two axles would have power all the time, but that doesn't make them a 4x4... Or, because I don't know 10 tons very well, it is possible to turn off one of the rear axles and have a true 4x4 system?

It's either this, or these people really don't know what they have, except they 'may' have a 10 ton truck, with three axles.

hwcurtice

That's what I thought too. Doh!

The obviousness of that is overwhelming.

The first thing I thought was they had rigged it to lift the rear tires up..., but no...

eagle4g63

"Look there ma I dun pushed the button and that there axle dun disappeared"

Wait for it....

"Look I dun pushed it again...it's dun reappeared"

hwcurtice

"Look there ma I dun pushed the button and that there axle dun disappeared"

Wait for it....

"Look I dun pushed it again...it's dun reappeared"

Considering all the civie rigs that have the helper axle that do that, it really isn't that far fetched, ya know? Even some of the MV tractors have them, I've seen, or something similar.

rorybellows

the last tractor i drove ( a civvie freightshaker) had a switch to lock the rear most axle. technically, they are receiving power all the time, but theyre open diffs, until you lock them and they become, well, all locked together. i dont even think theres a way to totally stop transmission of power going to a rear housing unless you physically disconnect like uncoupling the u joint. or have something such as cad like as in doge and jeep front axles

M813A1

Most Commerical trucks have all the power go through the middle rear and power the back rear the you lock in your power divider and that will allow the front rear axle to have power !! Also it is called an interaxle and it does the same thing it allows the front drive axle to start pulling !! Unlike military tactical the power produced is applied to the ground all off the time and then when you engage the transfer you apply power to the steering axle !!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch is not on the dash like on an M35A2 or an M939 series truck. It is a lever on the floor near the shifter. It is the smaller lever under the dash to the right of the others.

Attachments

rorybellows

Most Commerical trucks have all the power go through the middle rear and power the back rear the you lock in your power divider and that will allow the front rear axle to have power !! Also it is called an interaxle and it does the same thing it allows the front drive axle to start pulling !! Unlike military tactical the power produced is applied to the ground all off the time and then when you engage the transfer you apply power to the steering axle !!

that might be it. i havent driven in threee years, so im a little rusty

cadillac

my m916

So I saw this listing on an ad service where they claim their 10 ton had a switch, on the dash, in the cab that would turn the truck from a 4x4 to a 6x6.

Now, I know that the rear two axles would have power all the time, but that doesn't make them a 4x4... Or, because I don't know 10 tons very well, it is possible to turn off one of the rear axles and have a true 4x4 system?

It's either this, or these people really don't know what they have, except they 'may' have a 10 ton truck, with three axles.
My m916 has a switch on the dash that locks all the axles. It is air operated and the owners manual says it locks up the front and both diffs in back, i have not driven it yet in mud or snow because i only had it now for 3 weeks, but i am interested to see how it does this winter and im finishing putting super singles on it.

cadillac

And it says the axle all get locked, but that could be crappy, but i have also read that its like a Detroit locker kinda that allows slip when turning but once strait lock up again. That is what attracted me to this truck the ability to lock and unlock not be a automatic like some.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
And it says the axle all get locked, but that could be crappy, but i have also read that its like a Detroit locker kinda that allows slip when turning but once strait lock up again. That is what attracted me to this truck the ability to lock and unlock not be a automatic like some.
That is not correct. When you apply power(push on the gas peddle), they lock in. When you coast, they will release.

cadillac

That is not correct. When you apply power(push on the gas peddle), they lock in. When you coast, they will release.
I am not sure what you mean because i have a lock switch on my 916 there is no clutches I am not sure why you say not true, not true to what i have read in my owners manual Or i do not have a lock that i move up and down when i want for 6 wheel drive? Without explaining more on what you said this is not a answer i can not understand.

Last edited:

cadillac

TM 9-2320-273-20 1-11. EQUIPMENT DATA (Continued). TRANSFER CASE (MODELS M916 THROUGH M920) Make/Model: Ratio: Torque Capacity: Torque Proportioning – Front/Rear: Lock-Up – Front Axle: Lube Capacity: Oshkosh/1,800 series F-U29. 1:1. 15,155 Ib-ft (20,550 N•m). 1:1 When Engaged. Air Operated. 5 qts (4.48 liters). AXLES (MODEL M915) Front: Make/Model/Type: Rated Capacity: Steer Angle: Rear Tandem: Make/Model: Ratio: Rated Capacity (Tandem): Inter-Axle Differential: Lock-Up: Axle Differential – Forward/Rear Make/Type: Rear/Rear Make/Type: Lubrication: Lube Capacity – Forward/Rear: Rockwell/F-F931/l-Beam. 12,000 Ibs (5448 Kg). 32°. Rockwell/SQHP. 4.44:1. 38,000 Ibs (17,252 Kg). Bevel Gear. Air Control. Detroit Automotive/No-Spin. Rockwell/Bevel Gear. Pressure. 40/36 pts (19/17 liters). AXLES (MODELS M916 AND M918) Front: Make/Model/Type: Ratio: Rated Capacity: Steer Angle: Rear Tandem: Make/Type: Ratio: Rated Capacity (Tandem): Inter-Axle Differential: Lock-Up: Axle Differential Make/Type: Lubrication: Lube Capacity – Forward/Rear: Rockwell/FDS/1807/Hypoid. 6.17:1. 20,000 Ibs (9,080 Kg). 28°. Rockwell/SUHD 6.17:1. 58,000 Ibs (26,332 Kg). Bevel Gear. Air Operated. Detroit Automotive/No-Spin. Pressure. 34/28 pts (16/13.2 liters).