• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7.3 powerstroke/t444e bobbed deuce

res0wc18

Well you can install a ZF5 which is the same thing as the ZF6 for final drive of .77. The ZF6 just gives you a small gap between 3rd and 4th. or 4th and 5th. I forget which, the ZF6 does however let you have a cooler for your tranny which is a benefit. I do not like the dual mass flywheel setup on the ZFs. I trashed all of mine and went to solid with Laycook Products clutch. The ZF5/6 behind the gas engines has a .76 ratio vs the .77 in the diesel. There is a mod where you can swap the guts. I believe with the PS with a ZF5 and a divorced NP205 behind that would stand up quite well. I know the 6.9/7.3 IDI engines all share the same bellhousing pattern with the powerstroke and the 6.9/7.3 IDIs are SAE#2 bellhousings so you could bolt it to a 5 ton tranny.

I did some research on putting a 6.9L IDI into my 5 ton but I had to use the engine for another truck. I found one out of a 4x4 short bus. Had a 15" disc behind it with the SAE 2 bellhousing bolted to a Spicer 4054. The issues I was looking at was rigging a way to keep the air compressor running. Found some 1/4hp electric motors for remote mount. OR an electric air pump system. $100-$250 range on those. Then running the power steering on my 5 ton was going to be an issue. I found a powersteering pump builder that could make one for the IDI with the same pressure and flow rate as the LDS system. I would just have to mend together the fittings. the exhaust would be the other issue clearing the driveshaft and what not. The 94.5-97 powerchokes didnt use intercoolers so not as much crap running around the engine.

You can search around and see if you can fine a 7.3 from a 98-03 E350 superduty van. They are NON intercooled. ALOT more power than the 94.5-97 versions. Also equipped with an air ride compressor. We had one in my old inmate transportation van and it was a beast.
very interesting. Is the mounting on the 5 ton tranny etc different than the duece?

It still begs the question of "does the power stroke block have an sae2 pattern built in"

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think the 5 ton trans is a non standard sae#2, you can just use the 3053 trans, it is more than capable and less to adapt

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, i couldn't remember, is it the 5 ton that has the odd bolt pattern? the 3053 bolts right up to a std sae #3 then without the adaptor ring yes?

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it is the Deuce's-MF clutchhousing that needs that special adapter ring.
The 5ton MF engines take a clutch housing with a SAE#2 pattern.

Attached (edited) photo of that adapter ring shows the SAE#2 bolt holes (in red) vs. the MF's odd bolt pattern (white).

G.

Attachments

Studleyjay126

What about a DT466? Has anyone ever done this swap? I drove a tow truck for 6 months and the 466 was a great engine, and if I'm not mistaken they can come with an auto

In the 1980's I drove three trucks with DT 466 one had a automatic one had 13 speed roadranger and the last one had a 5x4 I would think it may take some searching to find what you need but it should be out there. Last year when I was looking at engines I seen a lot of DT 466 in the salvage yard .