• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7.3 powerstroke/t444e bobbed deuce

Flat Black

If you have a clean OBS truck either keep it and get whatever engine you want for the deuce or sell the truck and do the same... Not hard to find engines and trannies already taken out or find a wrecked truck, etc... Clean OBS trucks are not exactly easy to find.

I would say the 7.3 is my favourite ford diesel, that said, its no powerhouse and it has its issues. The aftermarket has plenty of mods for this motor if you want a bit more power, but you are going to spend a fortune if you want a lot of power from a 7.3, even the power of a new stock one ton will be $$$$$.

If you want a stock or mild motor, pick up a 7.3 cheap and put it in. Other wise turn up the multi-fuel or look for another motor that is cheaper to make power from than a 7.3. Except for HEUI, they are good motors...

Last edited:

mudguppy

the issues with the zf6's drive shaft is no problem, as the later models and f450/f550 units had a solid yoke. ...
excellent - did not know that.

... To all those who have done a power upgrade/motor swap in a bobber.....Whats it like driving it?
waaaaaay more fun.

The powerstroke started in 95, it is completely electronic tunable:razz:
yeah, but IIRC a '94-'97 PSD is still less complicated than a '99+ PSD when it comes to supporting accessories when doing a swap (ex: drive-by-wire throttle in '99+, etc.). i've never done one, though.

res0wc18

94-97(and early 99) are the motors to get because of the factory forged rods etc......

As far as SAE housings, im not sure...ive never seen definitive proof that the ford power stroke 7.3's have an sae housing pattern like the T444E....If they did, im sure it would open alot of options....

That being said, a zf six speed with a good clutch can be a great tranny. Ive seen a few that weren't taken care of but overall ive never had any problems with them. Ive seen them take serious power abuse as well

I do like the idea of using my motor since its been taken care of so well, but this old girl is so pretty i dont think i could sleep at night if i cut her up to steal her organs.

In your shoes, I'd probably either keep it like it is or sell it. You can get motors all day long. You can do a 7.3 or you can do a 5.9, or you could do one of the other hundreds of motors out there even. A clean, well taken care of truck doesn't deserve to be chopped up just for the motor.

res0wc18

I think that a mild built 7.3 stroker such as I have would really make a bobbed deuce fly..

That being said I have seen brand new t444e power units sell for 5k....so I'm sure a good used runner and tranny culd be had for much less...

The reason to use the powerstroke version is parts availability etc from napa and performance aftermarket.

res0wc18

I think that a mild built 7.3 stroker such as I have would really make a bobbed deuce fly..

That being said I have seen brand new t444e power units sell for 5k....so I'm sure a good used runner and tranny culd be had for much less...

The reason to use the powerstroke version is parts availability etc from napa and performance aftermarket.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well you can install a ZF5 which is the same thing as the ZF6 for final drive of .77. The ZF6 just gives you a small gap between 3rd and 4th. or 4th and 5th. I forget which, the ZF6 does however let you have a cooler for your tranny which is a benefit. I do not like the dual mass flywheel setup on the ZFs. I trashed all of mine and went to solid with Laycook Products clutch. The ZF5/6 behind the gas engines has a .76 ratio vs the .77 in the diesel. There is a mod where you can swap the guts. I believe with the PS with a ZF5 and a divorced NP205 behind that would stand up quite well. I know the 6.9/7.3 IDI engines all share the same bellhousing pattern with the powerstroke and the 6.9/7.3 IDIs are SAE#2 bellhousings so you could bolt it to a 5 ton tranny.

I did some research on putting a 6.9L IDI into my 5 ton but I had to use the engine for another truck. I found one out of a 4x4 short bus. Had a 15" disc behind it with the SAE 2 bellhousing bolted to a Spicer 4054. The issues I was looking at was rigging a way to keep the air compressor running. Found some 1/4hp electric motors for remote mount. OR an electric air pump system. $100-$250 range on those. Then running the power steering on my 5 ton was going to be an issue. I found a powersteering pump builder that could make one for the IDI with the same pressure and flow rate as the LDS system. I would just have to mend together the fittings. the exhaust would be the other issue clearing the driveshaft and what not. The 94.5-97 powerchokes didnt use intercoolers so not as much crap running around the engine.

You can search around and see if you can fine a 7.3 from a 98-03 E350 superduty van. They are NON intercooled. ALOT more power than the 94.5-97 versions. Also equipped with an air ride compressor. We had one in my old inmate transportation van and it was a beast.

Gunfreak25

Ummmm. I put a NON turbo 6.2 Diesel in my deuce. It weighs more than most W/W M35's.

Lets talk turkey here. DO THE DAM* SWAP! Seriously. Most of these repower threads are full of the usual "it won't work because.." BS. I am tired of it. Seems somebody will give you a hundred reasons why something won't work, but nobody actually steps up to the plate to do the repower anyway to prove it can be done.

That being said, I applaud the support from the majority of posts already made here. Finally glad to see some positive ideas being posted regarding a big 3 diesel IDI swap. Good on you everyone. :beer:

The 6.9 or 7.3 both NA and turbo'd would be fantastic engines for a deuce repower. Excellent durability, and the Db2 IP is about the cheapest pump to fix/replace. I'd go with an auto tranny myself. People really flip out when they see a big old army truck with an automatic. Something "mysterious" about it or something. :lol:

Go for it dude, take lots of pics. :driver:

http://www.big3diesel.com/73idi.html

Cotton12v

Well i had done all the searches and have a gasser Duce and a van/bus with a powerstroke... It's a 94 aod and is getting stuffed in the Duce this spring/summer I hope and will make an appearance at the haspin rally if finished. Full hydraulic steering and pinion brakes also if time allows. It will be offroad only so please don't bombard me with that's not street legal I know. Now just have to make the time to make it happen. I sold my bobber and the gasser has been sitting in my Field for two years so why not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks