• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

pig9r

So after reading good things in this thread about the 700R4 kit offered by Dirty Boyz, I started digging to look how to contact them and I came across a FB post from about six months ago from Mike at Dirty Boyz:

Well, I suppose it is time to make a public statement about Dirty Boyz Off Road 700R4 kits. You may or may not know that some customers recently have had problems shortly after install. I wanted to get to the bottom of our issues before making any statements. Although the problem was not due to our workmanship, it was a piece of the kit that is manufactured by an outside source. We have now discovered this piece was produced outside of the correct spec leading to transmission failure. I have nothing to hide here and want to publicly say this before rumors start in such a small hobby. If you are currently running one of my kits without problems do not panic. Please message me direct and we can discuss if any action needs to be taken. I will not send one transmission out the door before all of this is fully corrected. I want to thank everyone who has supported my business and make a promise to correct this mistake to any of my customers who have suffered. Mistakes do happen but I am not proud of them. I will not run away from the problem I will stand behind every product sold and make things right.

-Mike Ried
Anyone know what the issue(s) were? Looks like the business is no more and it appears MME no longer sells a kit.

87m998

This must have been about the time I got mine an had a lot of trouble, mostly with shipping mistakes. I received a call from Advance Adapters about the length
of the output shaft, seems it was a bit to long and causing failures. I trimmed mine to what he said and moved on.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just figured I would add to this thread, I built a clocking ring, this allows the NP218 to be coupled directly to the original 700R4 transfer case adapter at the correct angle, a 27 spline input gear must be installed in the transfer case, it also uses the stock 27 spline transmission output shaft,, I started with a "blank" clocking ring which already had the holes drilled and countersunk for the transfer case mounting holes, gear and ring cost me well under $100.00close up.jpglow view.jpgRing mounted.jpgRing mounted2.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just thought I would add to this thread a bit. After having and recovering from another heart attack last August, I managed to get my NP241c mounted on the back of my Bowtie 700R4 in February. Everything worked as it should with no issues, except a leaky front output shaft on the 241. This was easily fixed by installing a Speedi-Sleeve on the yoke. I also decided to abandon the mechanical linkage and install a cable shifter. Here's a link to the post in my thread -

90Jimmy

How about the performance? 70 MPH? Better fuel mileage?
70 MPH,...Nope, 55 MPH reasonably quiet, turns about 2300 RPM cruising 55. I would imagine fuel mileage has increased with the additional gear, but I’ve never found a reason to calculate fuel mileage. I’m guessing you could really wrap it up and run 70MPH. I wanted to comfortably cruise secondary roads and that’s what I got with the 700R4. It’s still a HMMWV so don’t expect it’s gonna be your truck all of a sudden.

Terra1936

70 MPH,...Nope, 55 MPH reasonably quiet, turns about 2300 RPM cruising 55. I would imagine fuel mileage has increased with the additional gear, but I’ve never found a reason to calculate fuel mileage. I’m guessing you could really wrap it up and run 70MPH. I wanted to comfortably cruise secondary roads and that’s what I got with the 700R4. It’s still a HMMWV so don’t expect it’s gonna be your truck all of a sudden.
Thanks for info!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my 765R4 which is an upgraded 700R4 from bowtie overdrives in California. I’ve been very happy. That being said I’ve only driven it for about 100 miles since the transmission was installed but it feels great.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bowtie's 765R4 is the ultimate transmission, no doubt. It has a base price of $3700. Their Level 3 700R4 is almost as strong at $1950 and should provide ample strength for a HMMWV 6.5. Just saying.
Yeah, I might have had to pay a few clams for the 765R4, and I agree that a 700R4 is way strong enough for everyday on-road use. I have a 765R4 with a 1900 stall torque converter.

Given I live by sand and I might take her offroad at times and I am adding a Whipple, I overbuilt my tranny. Make sure you tell whoever is rebuilding your tranny how you want it to shift. I made sure mine shifts like a community use vehicle rather than a hard shifting 1/4 mile dragster. I like the way my unit changes gears as Bowtie Overdrives listened to me carefully and delivered a product that shifts calmly and not harshly. If your rebuilder doesn't listen to you, find another rebuilder. I don't know about longevity as my tranny has less than 100 miles on it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I might have had to pay a few clams for the 765R4, and I agree that a 700R4 is way strong enough for everyday on-road use. I have a 765R4 with a 1900 stall torque converter.

Given I live by sand and I might take her offroad at times and I am adding a Whipple, I overbuilt my tranny. Make sure you tell whoever is rebuilding your tranny how you want it to shift. I made sure mine shifts like a community use vehicle rather than a hard shifting 1/4 mile dragster. I like the way my unit changes gears as Bowtie Overdrives listened to me carefully and delivered a product that shifts calmly and not harshly. If your rebuilder doesn't listen to you, find another rebuilder. I don't know about longevity as my tranny has less than 100 miles on it.

Ahem, my rebuilder IS Bowtie. Chris Gardner is, in my opinion, one of the most knowledgable in the business on transmissions. I purchased a Level 2 K-case from him a couple years ago and bolted it behind my new P400, which is still sitting on my engine stand awaiting to be installed into my M1028 truck. Since mating the Level 2 to the P400, I have got the hots for a supercharger, so I am considering getting the 765R4 to replace the 700R4. I see you mentioned a Whipple, have you looked at the Bullet from Australia?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahem, my rebuilder IS Bowtie. Chris Gardner is, in my opinion, one of the most knowledgable in the business on transmissions. I purchased a Level 2 K-case from him a couple years ago and bolted it behind my new P400, which is still sitting on my engine stand awaiting to be installed into my M1028 truck. Since mating the Level 2 to the P400, I have got the hots for a supercharger, so I am considering getting the 765R4 to replace the 700R4. I see you mentioned a Whipple, have you looked at the Bullet from Australia?
What is a Bullet from Australia? Please provide a link or information.

EDIT - The unit you speak of is roughly $6k plus shipping in US dollars. It is super tall, meaning hood and perhaps body modifications in addition to body lift of at least 2".

I suggest you measure the unit out before purchasing it. I am certain that the Whipple fits. The Bullet looks interesting, but seems like it is too tall.

I do NOT have a P400, so my 6.2 is not as robust. I therefore will not go above 9PSI boost. You have a more durable P400 engine. If you are interested in selling that P400 please let me know. My 6.2 won't stand up to the abuse from high temps and high pressures of boost over 9PSI.

IMHO.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I wrote in my EDIT above, the Bullet seems too high to fit the body of our HMMWV's, even with a body lift.

You might want to measure things out.

Please refer to my EDIT above.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I wrote in my EDIT above, the Bullet seems too high to fit the body of our HMMWV's, even with a body lift.

You might want to measure things out.

Please refer to my EDIT above.
I have already measured things out for my M1028 CUCV truck. No problems there. The top of the blower is no higher than the top of the air cleaner.

Regarding one of these in a HMMWV, I found an article on the subject which seems to indicate that it would fit with no problem - http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/supercharger/supercharge.html . Not trying to push Bullet, just trying to be helpful so you can consider all options.

I will be ordering the Bullet for my P400 6.5 next week. I will photo-document the entire installation in my rebuild thread.

Hope this helps.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a Bullet from Australia? Please provide a link or information.

EDIT - The unit you speak of is roughly $6k plus shipping in US dollars. It is super tall, meaning hood and perhaps body modifications in addition to body lift of at least 2".

I suggest you measure the unit out before purchasing it. I am certain that the Whipple fits. The Bullet looks interesting, but seems like it is too tall.

I do NOT have a P400, so my 6.2 is not as robust. I therefore will not go above 9PSI boost. You have a more durable P400 engine. If you are interested in selling that P400 please let me know. My 6.2 won't stand up to the abuse from high temps and high pressures of boost over 9PSI.

IMHO.
Have you identified the exact Whipple unit you plan to install? I would ike to look at it and compare it to the Bullet. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks