• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

710 transfer case in 712

Boelt63A

It looks like I am going to have to do some work on the tranny of the 712. Synchro in second gear is almost non-existant. The question at hand is while I am down there do I switch out the transfer case?

I have seen some 712's listed for sale with 710 transfer cases installed ostensibly for higher speeds. The low end is supposed to be the same between the 4X4 and 6X6 versions, but the 4X4 is geared to go faster in the top end with the same power plant.

Anyone have thoughts on this :?:

Chuck

DSD277

Chuck
There is a 12% difference between the 710 and 712 T case in both ranges. The ratios ( high range, low range) in the 710 is .88 to 1, and 1.69 to 1, and for the 712, 1 to1 and 1.92 to 1
Peter's 712 ( in Oz) has a 710 t case. If you never intend to carry heavy loads, it wouldn't be a problem.

Dave Dunn

ramfan

Boelt63A said:
It looks like I am going to have to do some work on the tranny of the 712. Synchro in second gear is almost non-existant. The question at hand is while I am down there do I switch out the transfer case?

I have seen some 712's listed for sale with 710 transfer cases installed ostensibly for higher speeds. The low end is supposed to be the same between the 4X4 and 6X6 versions, but the 4X4 is geared to go faster in the top end with the same power plant.

Anyone have thoughts on this :?:

Chuck

I did it on my 712M and it works great, you lose a little on the low end but you can notice a better top end speed so the motor doesn't have to work so hard at higher speeds.

Ed Olson

Boelt63A

RE: Re: 710 transfer case in 712

As you may know I have a 710 and I am thinking of putting the transfer case from it on the 712.

I am also thinking of doing the 2.7 upgrade, and I have an EFI kit on order.

With all that to think about building up the 2.7 and installing the EFI on the 710 then switching the whole thing out is sitting in the back of my mind.

Any thoughts?

Chuck

Boelt63A

I'm not looking to haul the heavy loads a 712 was designed for so getting lower RPM at highway speed is probably a better thing.

Chuck :beer:

6x6pinz

Chuck
I would like to do the opposite. I would be willing to trade out my 710 Tcase for a 712 Tcase. I would like to get a 712 Tcase in my 710. Of course I would also like to get some lower gears in my 712 also but that does not seem to be in the cards.

6x6pinz

Andy
These guys have been a great help with my M37 projects. The knowledge and advise received has been very helpful. I have just about finished the first M37 and should be getting it painted within the next month or so. My son is getting anxious to drive it with school starting back up shortly.

Tx75Pinz

Mike, I just sort of lurk here, but this too is a very smart bunch. There are tidbits here that will apply to the Pinz as well as the larger stuff they work with. The temptation to buy a duece is real strong here, but I think I want to hold out for a 712M. Later
Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks