• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

730 Mile trip prep. NC to MA

Shane M

Hey everyone have had my M1028 for about a month now, going through and making sure everything is squared away mechanically. Changing fluids and making some necessary small changes to make a long haul a bit easier. Already planning on adding a oil pressure gauge and temp gauge. The trip is in December to go home for vacation where I'll be installing an auxiliary fuel tank/ tool box for an extra 30-40 gallons of diesel.

Truck is pretty much stock, with 28,000 original miles on it so im not too worried about it making it up north but would like any tips or any mods you guys would suggest before making the 730ish mile trip up and back. ive read some of the other threads about similar trips but just want to get as much info as possible because if im stranded im screwed lol.

not trying to beat a dead horse just trying to get some more info

(I'll also be bringing extra belts and fluids etc)

Thanks for any extra info

rivcrazy2000

I just drove my 1009 from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back with some driving in FB came to 800+ miles over the weekend. I just made sure my fluids were all topped off and the thing performed just as I would expect any other rig to. It was -20 Fri morning and it gave a slow crank and fired right up no problem. Just take it easy and make sure it has oil it should do fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add a 12V receptacle to charge cell phones. Take a jump box as well, extra power always a +. Spare fuel filters is always a must. Lastly get at least the middle of the road AAA membership. That covers a 100 mile tow.

Shane M

Thanks everyone, I'll probably throw a tuff box in the back with all the extra fluids and parts (belts, filters, tools etc). Looking at putting in a 12v receptacle for GPS and playing music off my cellphone so I don't go insane on the drive up

chevyCUCV

Be prepared for the worst.
Bring spare filters, some extra fuel line, some heater hose.

And you will really want that second fuel tank after the drive, 20 gallons is not much.

scottladdy

While it may not cover everything, I would recommend following the PMCS in the -10.

Having said that, I recently recovered 2 trucks. Driving one almost 500 miles and the other over 700 miles. One was missing 3 of the 6 transmission mount bolts. These are fairly rugged trucks.

If you are daily driving it, you probably know most of the issues already.

You probably don't have time to address everything that can go wrong on the trip. E.g. the truck I drove over 700 miles, I just rebuilt the alternators on it. One looked fairly new. But the passenger side alt. had a broken conductor on the rear brush. Just luck that there was still a sufficient electrical connection to keep the battery charged. Not a lot of wear on the brushes which is in line with the low miles on the truck. Just age that corroded the conductor.

Good luck with the trip. Wave hi when you pass through CT :D

85CUCVtom

Be prepared for the worst.
Bring spare filters, some extra fuel line, some heater hose.

And you will really want that second fuel tank after the drive, 20 gallons is not much.
I agree! I would take extra fluids, belts, heater hose, oil and fuel filters, tools, RTV and maybe some fuel line hose.

Installing a temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge would hurt. I like being able to monitor the engine for temp and oil pressure.

Last edited:

stationjj

I second the middle of the road AAA with free 100 mile tow. Cost isn't too bad, but a great piece of mine. AAA has saved me a few times.

I also added 2 12V lighter plugs. That will help a lot as well.

stationjj

Old Rusty m1008

If you get stuck make sure you have an internet ready phone... there are three people i can think of right off the top of my head that have lots of spare parts for these trucks and they are prolly just a PM away other than the obvious things already mentioned thats all i can think of

fitz

I'm in southern mass if you get in a jam.
Others have offered good advice so far, but how about your spare tire?
Make sure it's not rusted in place.
While your at it, check your lug wrench and jack.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few things come to mind.

I've flat towed my M1009 with my M1028A2 via a military tow bar when the temps was 105 in the dead of summer 850 miles.

Some of the things I did were -

Change the oil over to synthetics - I use Royal Purple, pick your own but I've had zero problems with RP

Engine oil
transfer case oil *
axle oil *

*by changing these over to Max Gear oil, you protect your moving parts AND get a wee bit better mpg due to lessened friction between moving parts - my .02 cents

hit all the 'lubrication points'

battery cables - if you have NOT changed them yet, they are probably 20+ years old and when the temps drop, they CAN cause problems and replacing them are cheap insurance

fresh fuel/oil/air filters

FRESH FUEL - sounds simple, but if you don't have fresh fuel (IE, if your trucks sit like mine do for a month or more between usages), that can cause problems

Change your windshield wipers and hang on to the old ones or purchase a spare set (really cheap insurance to be able to see properly while driving)

Shane M

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the replies, currently don't have a spare tire but looking for one so If anyone has any leads on one pm me, currently have 36.5" tires on the truck.

Headed from ft Bragg to a smallish town just south of Worcester, ma

Dirty1

I am from a smallish town near Worcester. Send me a pm if you need help when you are in the area and I will see what I can do.

Shane M

update: sprung a leak... or two. gonna further investigate it tomorrow. one is oil from the passenger side hard to tell where its coming from due to the fact that theres oil on the leaf spring, starter, exhaust, bell housing and frame.. thinking its either the valve cover or head gasket but theres no coolant in the oil so im going to look into it in the morning, the other is diesel and all that I've gathered from that is that its on the front of the engine. theres diesel on the front diff, and engine mount... so we'll see, gonna have to fix these before my trip

Old Rusty m1008

If youre willing to take a chance on driving partway without a spare.. Hillbilly Wizard has a bunch of spares hes in Toms River NJ which is about 60% of your route... Are you taking I 95 up?

Shane M

Chevycucv, I haven't had a chance to look much into the diesel leak, but will definitely look at the return lines and rubber sections. Trying to figure out the oil leak right now because it's leaking a lot more oil than diesel. The oil leak isn't constant only does it when driving and shortly after parked. A buddy who works on duramaxs thinks there's a lead plug or fail safe on the back of the cylinder head that might be the cause of the oil loss.... I've never heard of this but if anyone else has any info would be appreciated. Ruled out valve cover, and head gasket.

Old rusty, yup taking I95 up, seeing how the tires I have are practically new I could probably make it up to nj without a spare

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks