• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 CTA Cummins won't start

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got good fuel pressure to the IP, but still no start; I towed the M931A2 to Alamo Truck and they confirmed that the IP is bad:( I'm looking for another M939A2 IP to put on the shelf to replace the one I'm using. If you've got a new M939A2 pump in the $300-500 range and want to turn it into cash please let me know. IP numbers need to match the following:

PES6MW100/120RS1143

0 403 436 109

Thanks much for all of the advice!!!!!!

Joe

hotbox

Picked up my 5ton and it fired up several times, no problem. Then I opened the fuel tank and a huge vacuum was released. Swish-Bong! Then it would not start. I pumped the primer and cracked the petcock several times then it started. It now starts sometimes. Is it normal to have that much vacuum in the tank? I'm sure the vacuum sucked the fuel out of the line and allowed air in. I thought driving it would push all the air out but that didn't happen. Is there a check valve on the tank? What is the procedure to get all the air out?
Thanks,
Sean

Tornadogt

Picked up my 5ton and it fired up several times, no problem. Then I opened the fuel tank and a huge vacuum was released. Swish-Bong! Then it would not start. I pumped the primer and cracked the petcock several times then it started. It now starts sometimes. Is it normal to have that much vacuum in the tank? I'm sure the vacuum sucked the fuel out of the line and allowed air in. I thought driving it would push all the air out but that didn't happen. Is there a check valve on the tank? What is the procedure to get all the air out?
Thanks,
Sean
Your sounds more like a clogged fuel tank vent line it is located in the air inlet tube behind the cab make sure it isn't plugged up by an Incest or something. you should be able to blow through it freely with the fuel cap off the tank.

hotbox

Your sounds more like a clogged fuel tank vent line it is located in the air inlet tube behind the cab make sure it isn't plugged up by an Incest or something. you should be able to blow through it freely with the fuel cap off the tank.
Thanks! Yeah its plugged. Gonna take it apart and clean it this weekend.

Carlo

I have never had one startup problem with my M923A2. I have never used ether to start it and I have had temp down to -9°c BUT on the other hand my M931A1 is so cold blooded I have no air leaks, no rotted hoses, no bad valves, all filters good. Pump presure is to spec and it still starts hard. I then added a 24v helper pump and the problem stopped. I feel Cummins have a weak link when it comes to fuel delivery. Since joining this site the number one problem is its not getting fuel.

hotbox

I have never had one startup problem with my M923A2. I have never used ether to start it and I have had temp down to -9°c BUT on the other hand my M931A1 is so cold blooded I have no air leaks, no rotted hoses, no bad valves, all filters good. Pump presure is to spec and it still starts hard. I then added a 24v helper pump and the problem stopped. I feel Cummins have a weak link when it comes to fuel delivery. Since joining this site the number one problem is its not getting fuel.
Tell me more about this 24v helper pump. What brand and part number is it? Maybe a picture?
Thanks,

Carlo

Tell me more about this 24v helper pump. What brand and part number is it? Maybe a picture?
Thanks,

I found it on ebay under military parts. The guys a dealer. I will take a photo on Monday for this truck is not at the house and down at my shop. It worked for me.

meyerhvac

Banned
Raise hood, go to drivers side of motor, push solenoid in and rotate throttle clockwise. Truck should start now. I've seen bad solenoids straight out of the box, if it remains stuck out when you turn the ignition on, check your wiring and repair as needed. Let us know. I've seen this many times on A2's.
Is this the correct procedure when the tm says to "call maintenance to reset fuel shutoff valve" ?

I have searched every pdf,this forum,and google for "maintenance resetting fuel shutoff" and cannot find what procedure maintenance actually is supposed to do anywhere. Could someone please clarify?

Carlo

Is this the correct procedure when the tm says to "call maintenance to reset fuel shutoff valve" ?

I have searched every pdf,this forum,and google for "maintenance resetting fuel shutoff" and cannot find what procedure maintenance actually is supposed to do anywhere. Could someone please clarify?
Tomorrow I will take a photo tomorrow and send it over.

unoriginal

Raise hood, go to drivers side of motor, push solenoid in and rotate throttle clockwise. Truck should start now. I've seen bad solenoids straight out of the box, if it remains stuck out when you turn the ignition on, check your wiring and repair as needed. Let us know. I've seen this many times on A2's.

Moving from Alabama to Oregon...YOU JUST SAVED THE DAY!!!!

Moto2four

This is an old post, but it just saved my skinny white azz. Thanks.

unoriginal

Solenoid

This is an old post, but it just saved my skinny white azz. Thanks.
Yeah mine to brother. We had been in the Home Depot parking lot for a couple hours when I found this thread. After just dealing with the issue a few times, I realized my solenoid wasn't bad, I had a kink in the wire that my linkeage slides on and it was just binding a bit! That might help someone in the future to avoid ordering a solenoid prematurely.

Regards.

Excuse Me

Ok, read thru the thread and learned a lot. But I have a twist to my fuel issue. I can pressurize the tank and get fuel to the primary filter "sometimes". I can blow air back to the tank from the filter in line and also thru the filter and back to the tank. But getting fuel from the tank to the filter, from either tank, is intermittent and difficult. Is there anything inside the tank selector that can get caught up and cause blockage? Is the tank selector on an M931A2 an ots item that I can get at napa?
Thanks.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, read thru the thread and learned a lot. But I have a twist to my fuel issue. I can pressurize the tank and get fuel to the primary filter "sometimes". I can blow air back to the tank from the filter in line and also thru the filter and back to the tank. But getting fuel from the tank to the filter, from either tank, is intermittent and difficult. Is there anything inside the tank selector that can get caught up and cause blockage? Is the tank selector on an M931A2 an ots item that I can get at napa?
Thanks.
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but might be timely coincidence http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?76086-5-ton-fuel-tank-selector-valve-cleaning-rebuild

I think I have a "priming issue". I changed the fuel filter/water separator so there was a ton of air in the system. I primed the fuel system and cracked all the injector hard lines at the distribution block, not the injectors. The truck is running extremely rough and seems to still have air in the fuel system. Injector 3 is now very loud, sounds dry. With the truck at idle, when I crack the injector hard lines at the distribution block, the truck runs worse except injector 3.
How do you crack the hard line at the injector, I can't seem to get any wrenches down to the fitting.
Also, does the primer bulb on the block need to have the red rubber cap in tact? Mine ripped just prior to all these issues and I'm wondering if that is introducing air into the fuel system.
thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it run ok before the filter change? if so, just run it and it will work the air out. No need to bleed anything.

Carlo

I have never had any issues after changing my filters on my A2. I don't ore fill either one. I prime with the hand pump while opening the bleed off valve and she starts no sweat. My A1's are another story!