• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 cummins internals ?

sweetk30

lots of brazil / british / usa . . . . but whats up with the conection rods and pins that have japan cast in them ?

was this oem or some cheep reman engine ?

I got one here I just tore down to bare block and I found this stuff ......... fyi #2 rod let go and tossed the whole engine ( prev post about it ) from a m936a2 .

wcuhillbilly

the Rocker boxes on both of my NHC/NTC 250 and 350 both have Japan cast into the aluminum....... I dont know but one is a 1977 and the other was a reman in 1989. Cummins isnt the all American boy that most folks think they are..... even back then.

In the 80's when searching for a oil pan for a Cummins I was surprised at the country's that made parts . If I remember right add Spain and Australia to the list.

Mercunimog404

Banned
lots of brazil / british / usa . . . . but whats up with the conection rods and pins that have japan cast in them ?

was this oem or some cheep reman engine ?

I got one here I just tore down to bare block and I found this stuff ......... fyi #2 rod let go and tossed the whole engine ( prev post about it ) from a m936a2 .
You don't think Japan is as capable as murica at building engines?

74M35A2

Cummins is headquartered in the US. Over 55% of their market is outside the US. They source castings and parts from all corners of the world. They are truly a global company.

It is common for people to place China and Japan in the same category of quality, but the opposite is actually the case. Honda (Japan) makes the most engines per year, of any company in the world. I have worked for a Japanese company for over a decade now, and their discipline to engineering design and manufacturing for end result quality is nothing less than amazing. If a finished pallet of our product is dropped, even though it is packaged properly and each item is padded, the entire pallet of product is put into the shredder. This can be at a price of up to $70,000 per pallet.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the engine starved of oil, went over RPM, or something impacted the rod first. It could have also possibly been dropped and caused an inclusion, which then later broke. On a rebuild, somebody could have stepped away to grab a phone call, and forgot to tighten the rod cap bolts to spec, and simply went on to the next rod.

Japan had steel refined before almost any other country in the world, and this is with virtually no natural resources on their island country. Samurai sword is a prime example.

sweetk30

we think it was over rev most likely . driver didn't know 40-45mph max . . . said it was crusing good at 55mph . m936a2 truck .

but they say engines run best just before BOOM !

here is some carnage pics .

and all bearings looked great no low oil scuffing marks .

the liner was blasted to **** and long crack down the sleeve wall.

pistion was 1/3 the hight from what was left in it .

stripped block no antifreeze I see rust all threw the water area's . I wonder if the coolant mix was bad / wrong and it busted the #2 liner and droped the cylinder .

Attachments

74M35A2

8.3 is good for 3400rpm minimum (marine app). Military spec governor pulls fuel rack back at 2200rpm. Looks like it dropped a valve? I run my 925a2 @ 67mph for hours on end. Same power/drive train. Love carnage pics!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks