• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 liter valve cover gasket

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anybody changed the valve cover gasket on one of these? Got a part number or recommended part?

I've got black permatex. I'm thinking a solid gasket is probably better.

Edit - part number is 3905449.

Thanks
Dirko Grey Sealant. Cheap and you won't have a leaking issue again. Ever.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never did. It would give enough to get by it
I couldn't. So I drained some coolant into a clean bucket and pulled it. Better access can only make matters easier when it's time to reassemble.

How about the small coolant overflow tank and associated bracket? Looks like it needs to go, especially the bracket.

Last time I did a valve cover gasket was >30 years ago on a 350 Chevy.

Edit - the overflow tank and associated bracket were removed. Access is much better this way.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirko Grey Sealant. Cheap and you won't have a leaking issue again. Ever.
Interesting as I had never heard of Dirko or sold it in the parts stores when I was in the biz in another lifetime. How did you find them ? and I assume you are happy with the product? Do you use it for everything- water, oil, etc?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Interesting as I had never heard of Dirko or sold it in the parts stores when I was in the biz in another lifetime. How did you find them ? and I assume you are happy with the product? Do you use it for everything- water, oil, etc?
It is a European thing. Used mostly on Mercedes engines that don't use gaskets. It works better in areas with hi humidity. More humidity the better it seals. You can put it on an 8.3L lift pump and if you have to take it off the lift pump will break off before the Dirko does.... I've used it on water,
Oil, gear oil .

Had a big cam air compressor that was leaking oil out the side of the head covered it in the dirko around the crack and it never leaked again. I've used it to repair plastic fuel tanks on tractors. Works well enough you can put cardboard in the filler neck spout
Put dirko on it and in 24hrs it's a brand new spout that isn't broke anymore.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asume you put a dab of silicone on the gap?
No, I ordered a new gasket and replaced it in its entirety.

I decided a pre-made gasket would be an easier install with less chance of a leak under the constraints I was working with.

Thank you to everyone who contributed knowledge to the decision making process.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cool, Thanks for the info. I will order some when I run out of my Permatex products. If Dirko likes high humidity, well that variable I can guarantee in the Banana Republic :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks