• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3L puffs smoke underhood

Csm Davis

My M936A2 puffs smoke underhood when first starting only. Appears to be near front of engine, thinking exhaust gasket but wondering if could just tighten the bolts or might be cracked manifold? Nothing overly obvious jumps out when looking.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did same thing several years ago, it was exhaust gasket. PITA to replace as nearly every stud wanted to break off in spite of torch heating, penetrating fluids, wax, etc….

The telltale signs were black soot coming from failed gasket areas.…as well as having my wife watch for smoke when starting to confirm.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The telltale signs were black soot coming from failed gasket areas.…as well as having my wife watch for smoke when starting to confirm.
I concur 110% .. I will add it might take some time for it to accumulate enough carbon to be noticeable if it's a recent issue

I also advise everyone the following six ancient wisdoms when having wife or gf help you as "soldier B" ,,,

1: per Murphy, tasks take longer than they should
2: wives and gf's might get angry, or never help you again, if a task takes longer than you said it would
3: as we age, most tasks take longer than we say it will
4: as we age, all tasks take longer than they did 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago
5: as we age, we get more wrapped up in a task, and forget the unfinished task we were in the middle of beforehand
6: wives and gf's can be a major distraction all on their own, and deny having done anything to distract you when the SHTF

Hence, make sure you and female soldier B have nothing previously running in the shop or garage or barn or on the stove..
Else there will be "telltale signs of black soot" and smoke emitting from something(s) other than your current task rofl

If you ask me how I know,, I plead the 5th, your honor.. ;)

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amen to that… I did say that mine was several years ago right?!? It had to be, because I suckered her into helping me bleed the brakes on our newly-acquired M246 just a week or two ago…. :ROFLMAO:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amen to that… I did say that mine was several years ago right?!? It had to be, because I suckered her into helping me bleed the brakes on our newly-acquired M246 just a week or two ago…. :ROFLMAO:
you put her under the truck holding the wrench, didn't you.. how many years will it be before you get any help next time? :ROFLMAO:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks